What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer Essentials? (Or maybe better named as "Adventures in Newb 3D Printing" )

Entz

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, that's the style I was referring to. Not sure what your printer shipped with but the stock one (and the aluminum one I just installed) only have one "gear" and then one grooved roller on a bearing. (As per danmitch1's image above).

danmitch1

Im guessin the dual toothy version would solve the slipping I experienced with mine.

danmitch1

I'm doing my first print job since installing the aluminum head (and doing a quick extruder calibration that seemed fine) and now I'm wondering if I need to do something similar.
I only noticed the slipping while calibrating the extruder actually. I was watching my 100mm mark and as it was extruding and noticed it stopped then picked up again. It did this off and on until the process completed. It obviously was messing up my calibration and was confusing me why i couldn't extrude the same amount twice in a row. One little washer solved the problem.

FreeKnight

Before I even consider looking into a 3D printer, I should try to see if I can even figure out how to use any kind of 3d modelling software. I'm mulling over picking up a Pi 4, so thought Maybe I should try to design a case for one.

So, that being said, what's the best free/cheap software I should use to try and design a case that could be exported to a 3D printer? I don't think I want to brave 55 pages of content, so I'm being lazy and just asking ;)

danmitch1

Ill add blender to the free list.
All autodesk software is available free if you say you are home schooling it, they have been providing me non commercial licensing for years for all the latest software.

sswilson

Staff member
Soooo.......

We'll see if the money ever actually makes it back onto my Visa, but they've approved my "dispute" on the first mainboard that was ordered Jan 19'th and still hasn't arrived.

Still have a second one supposedly on the way that was ordered April 27.

Latest posts