What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3DP Newbie takes the plunge: Help answer Qs??

CMetaphor

Quadfather
(Lots of Questions thread... Sorry in advance...)
The time has come.

My used Ender 5 has been unpacked, cleaned off and tested cold.

The previous owner... Hmm... How shall I put it... Didn't know what they were doing. So unfortunately I've got to ask a couple of Q's right away to see just how much work I'm going to have to do.

The previous owner...
1) ...gummed up the fans with what looks like particles of abs? Both still function, but I don't want to take any risks. I have replacement fans (one 40mm reg and one small squirrel cage fan).
Should I immediately replace the gross fans with the spares?
1a) is there a handy detailed disassembly guide somewhere for such things?
1b) I've seen some people adding additional fans/ upgrading fans and adding ducting. If the gross fans are cleaned could they be used, for example, for extra part cooling?

2) ... Made a mess of the wiring. As with 1a), is there guides on ways to wire everything up? Is it even needed so long as the wires reach and don't hit things or the bed?

3) ... Poked very small holes in the heating bed (that seems like the wrong terminology but wtvr). They claimed it was for easy alignment of an optional plexiglass-looking print surface. There's one in each corner... Will it affect the prints if those prints approach those areas? I can check the heating if need be.
3a) if it Does adversely affect the prints, where can I buy a replacement? I haven't seen such things on Amzn .. so maybe directly from Creality?

Extra Q's:
4) If I want to build a PC from OLD parts whose purpose will only be sending the gcode via usb and monitoring remotely via webcam... Do the PC specs even matter? I'm aware that 3D modeling and slicer software can benefit greatly from powerful multicore PCs, but I can't find any info anywhere about just the gcode part...

That's all for now, as always I'm sorry for all the questions! I know Some things can be googled (which I have done), but I still prefer finding answers to my specific questions and tbh I trust the opinions of HWC members more than the results of a Google search.

Thanks again in advance!

danmitch1

Congrats! You are now heading down a very deep rabbit hole.
If the fans still work, maybe just try cleaning the up before shelving them.
Google really is full of assembly disassembly instructions for creality, which is one of the perks of owning one of their machines.
Also, if you dont find ender 5 instructions, the ender 3 will be the basically same besides the obvious, same mobo, same hot end same fans, same psu.
The holes you mentioned shouldn't be an issue, the bed is actually 235mm square but is programmed for 220mm square, so that means you have a 15mm margin around the whole bed that wont be touched.
I just purchased a new bed off Amazon, i actually now have the glass bed with the magnetic mat on top, work like a charm.
Im using an old xeon quad at 4ghz with 8 gb of ram and a gtx550ti for my octoprint server. People use raspberry pie4 so you dont need an excessively strong pc.
Good luck!!

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
1) It's not necessary to replace the fans if they still work, but you can if it makes you feel better.
2) As long as the wires are connected and don't interfere with motion, it doesn't matter what they look like for operation. My i3 clone has looked like multicolored spaghetti since day one. Lowfat's machines look like you could eat off them. Somewhere in between is probably ideal.
3) The holes shouldn't affect the heating function if they didn't hit the heating traces. It will definitely affect the print if you go over the holes. Consider a magnetic removable print surface like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Creality-3D-Ultra-Flexible-Removable-235X235MM/dp/B088FP67Z1/
4) It can be done with a Raspberry Pi. Any PC will work as long as the USB port is functional. I do my design and slicing on my desktop and use an old Pentium machine to feed my printer and CNC router.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Thanks for the replies guys!

Just one unanswered question: is there a need to replace the fans or upgrade them or add very pretty and fancy ducting? I'm going to be doing PLA for a long, long time ... I think.... So I'm not sure.

Thanks again!

danmitch1

IMO, keep the stock fans and setup until you are more familiar with 3d printing. As its been said many times, adding mods is what most spend their time on when first starting out. The printer is actually pretty decent without any mods, seriously, I didnt notice any drastic improvements when moding the stock parts, it was however, MUCH fun.

sswilson

Staff member
In many cases, it's suggested to print PLA with the part cooling fan set to zero anyways. (helps prevent curling).

sswilson

Staff member
I believe it was 3.0 Charlie who suggested it, and I've done a few fairly large "footprint" jobs that seemed to turn out fine.

sswilson

Staff member
Really? So the part cooling fan off and the hot end fan set to normal or whatever ? Interesting

Yeah, I mainly started doing it for parts with large footprints on the print surface in order to prevent curling. I also tried setting cooling to 50% which is essentially 0 RPM for the first few layers because it takes a "normal" selected fan speed to get the fan initialized and the 25% that's typically set for printer profiles on the first few layers isn't high enough to get the fan spinning until it gets to the higher layers that are calling for 75-100% fan speed.