What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4.99 for an empty box at Zellers!

TwystedMonkey

so at the Zellers in coquitlam center I find something kinda suprising an original boxed Painkiller for the PC. I have been dying to play this game for a while but being cheap I didn't want to pay 20 bucks... so seeing the 25 dollar pricetag made me do a double take. I asked an associate if that price was correct and when he scanned it it came through and 1 penny. I told him I would take it but he said he wasn't allowed to sell it at that price. He could however give it to me for the price of the cheapest PC game on the shelf which was 5 dollars. Later that night when I got home I open the box and jewel case to find it completely devoid of the actual game. Weird part is on the back of the jewelcase there is a CD key... Anyways I am not that pissed off I mean 5 bucks whatever. But since I purchased it and got nothing but CD key am I justified in downloading it and using my 5 dollar CD key?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
You've paid for a license. How you put the software on your computer is nobody's business.

Jon_di2

so at the Zellers in coquitlam center I find something kinda suprising an original boxed Painkiller for the PC. I have been dying to play this game for a while but being cheap I didn't want to pay 20 bucks... so seeing the 25 dollar pricetag made me do a double take. I asked an associate if that price was correct and when he scanned it it came through and 1 penny. I told him I would take it but he said he wasn't allowed to sell it at that price. He could however give it to me for the price of the cheapest PC game on the shelf which was 5 dollars. Later that night when I got home I open the box and jewel case to find it completely devoid of the actual game. Weird part is on the back of the jewelcase there is a CD key... Anyways I am not that pissed off I mean 5 bucks whatever. But since I purchased it and got nothing but CD key am I justified in downloading it and using my 5 dollar CD key?

The scanning code of practice states that he has to sell you it at the price it shows on the register or the price tag on the actual item, whichever is lower. He isn't allowed to change the price. You should have gotten it for 1 cent. I'm fairly certain zellers participates, even if the cashier doesn't know.

How does the code work?
If the scanned price of an non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price. Under this code you are eligible
What does the code cover?
The Code covers all scanned merchandise at participating retail outlets where the “Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code” sign is displayed at the store entrance or checkout. Note that you’ve probably seen this sign before but never knew what it is. A&P have it posted on every checkout isle.

JD

Staff member
I'd say it's fine to obtain the game in whatever means possible. You own the license, you just need the media. Don't really see anything wrong with that.

TwystedMonkey

ok now I just need to find a place to dl it. Everywhere I have checked always has it AND the expansion. All I need/have the rights for is the 1st game only but no expansions.

DK2

Can't you just write Tech support and have them send you a new disk?