What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4 Pin ATX to supply an unlocked 550BE?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Hmmm... Math time:
OCZ Specifications list 2x 12v Rails @ 18A maximum each.

Ohm's law: Voltage * Current = Power (in Watts)
therefore: 12v * 18A = 216watts Max
approx. OC'd processor wattage (AMD) = 140w TDP or more. Which only leaves 66 watts for your motherboard, ram, hard drives (probably sharing the same rail as well).

What graphics card are you running with that setup? You might even hit the max combinated 12v load on the two rails if you're not careful...

Caldezar

Check the primary in my sig, that's what I'm running with the 500W. I may just go buy the XFX 850W PSU in the near future. Just seems I'm spending way too much money recently. But at least then I'll be good to go for crossfire with another 4890...

Zero82z

Banned
CPU and motherboard power duties are shared between both rails. PCI-E connector is on one and everything else is on the other. You'll have no problems with that PSU; no need to upgrade anything.

0o0

Banned
What I'd do is post that psu up for sale, and use it until someone buys it so you can cover some of your upgrading expense. Theoretically it'd be just fine with the 4pin, but I think there must be a reason why mobo's have 8pin atx plugs lol

Zero82z

Banned
I think there must be a reason why mobo's have 8pin atx plugs lol
Not really. The EPS12V connector was designed for server applications. Desktop CPUs don't require it when running at stock speeds. The only time it becomes a concern is with a heavily-overclocked CPU.

Latest posts

Twitter