What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

40 years of gaming to reach nirvana.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
New rig. 6800xt, 5600x and the LG 48CX OLED.
Holy crap. Super smooth 4k gaming at 120fps with mostly ultra settings. Every game I play now has the best graphics ever, hehe.
The star of this show is the OLED. Deep blacks, gorgeous colors and true .1ms response. Gaming (graphics at least) does not need to get any better for me now. But with devs now targeting the new gen xbox and PS they will.
I've said for 20 years that LCD's are crap for motion and I am right. 1ms gray to gray is pure marketing BS when you can get up to 15ms from one color to another. At 120 fps a frame is 8ms. But guess what? Sample and hold means the frame is on for that 8ms giving no time for the change. Blur city. My Asus 144hz gaming monitor is my second now and there is no comparison. 60 fps on the OLED is way smoother than 144hz on the LCD. Blur busters ufo test shows me a crystal clear alien dude.
Yes, it cost me $2300 but that is the best money I've ever spent on my gaming hobby.
Burn in? Pffft 1500 hours on it and not one hint of retention. Devs are getting good with dynamic huds and customizable huds. I've hot keyed F11 to my mouse so I can full screen my browser and apps to get rid of static tabs and menu's.
Gaming nirvana. I had to put a band aid on my mouse hand pinkie. Wore through the skin from it rubbing on the mouse pad, lol. Can't get enough gaming goodness.

Shadowmeph

for myself ther is very few games out there that I like that would entice me to upgrade my old gaming PC

crazyea

1500 hours isn’t really that much. My friends tv OLED got burn in. Luckily they replaced the panel with the Costco warranty.

That being said, I’d really like the Sony A90J.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
I do agree that OLED is absolutely the best gaming display at the moment. They have no pixel ghosting BUT they are still sample and hold displays. Sony used to make a rolling scan OLED reference monitor back in the day, but it was like $40K or something. 120Hz on OLED is still ~8.3ms unless you are using black frame insertion / OLED Motion Pro.

I haven't found anything that has actually tested what the pulse width for BFI on LG OLEDs. But on high it is too much and I absolutely perceive flickering. I use medium, and for me it is the sweet spot. It has more motion blur than my Dell SG2716DG w/ ULMB @ 10%. But not substantially. The OLED is good enough that I don't worry about motion blur ever.

crazyea

I have a 2016 Samsung un65k8000 and it does everything I need with no complaints. It would take something special to upgrade.

But I have looked into the new Samsung 90 series mini led and the lg c1 OLED.

The wallet is itching for it

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
It would take something special to upgrade.

But I have looked into the new Samsung 90 series mini led and the lg c1 OLED.
The OLED is more than special. It is game changing. The C1 is the 2021 version of the CX.

crazyea

Ok. It’s a nice panel but I’m not really an LG fan so I’m look at the Sony, even though it may contain an Lg panel. I have played on it in person and although the blacks are nice, like my phone, it lacks brightness and suffers burn in. If you look at r-tings the Samsung mini led is getting great reviews too. So like I said I’m thinking about it.

Im glad you’re smitten with yours though. 👍👍

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
The Sony does not have freesync. No led will ever match an OLED for motion clarity. And that's all we do when gaming.

crazyea

Again, I'm not against OLED at all, and I am thinking of getting one, but playing on one with my friend didn't convince me enough to upgrade yet. And the Sony should get some features in an update I believe. If you look at these reviews both of these TV's they are rated similarly. Mini LED is getting pretty good.

crazyea

One thing I really don't like about Samsung is that it doesn't support Dolby Vision and so a lot of the content can look pretty washed out.