What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

48 cores of Canadian Magny-Cours Motherfolding

10e

Here's a shot of the new Noctua NH-U9DO A3 heat sinks I picked up from NCIX yesterday. These things are EXACTLY what the doctor ordered! CPU temps are at 42C at 100% folding load. This will bode well for BullDozer when it arrives.

They are extremely quiet.

This shot is an HWC exclusive LOL!

They are both F-1207/C32 and F-1207 custom/G34 compatible!!!! Awesome! :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 2,441

10e

sorry if you feel like this regarding one of my comment. I actually would like to have the setting of 10e. But I like to Oc and watercooling to much.....

Like I said it's a double-edged sword. It's so much fun to feel like you've accomplished something with a big overclock, but it can be frustrating four times over with a dual-box when things don't go your way.

I always have a lot of respect for people who can achieve those great overclocks, as well as those who can achieve that perfect balance between OC and power usage.

There's a guy on Hardocp who is getting 3.6Ghz out of x5650s (if I remember correctly) and only using 420W of power, and getting over 135K PPD. Pretty awesome accomplishment.

That's a pretty damn sexy set up you got going there 10e, congrats on it man!

Thanks. It will get sexier when I put it in a properly modded case!:canadianwave:

_dangtx_

Banned
beauty of a setup.

now explain to me in human words what kind of pixie magic is that guy using to get those wattage numbers lol

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
um. I was going to ask why you only got two Noctuas - but I'm assuming you only put them on the BE CPUs that are overclocked?

and those little 40-50mm fans on the chipset - they always make me cringe.. they always seem to fail on me after 6mo or so.

10e

um. I was going to ask why you only got two Noctuas - but I'm assuming you only put them on the BE CPUs that are overclocked?

and those little 40-50mm fans on the chipset - they always make me cringe.. they always seem to fail on me after 6mo or so.

The other two were used on the "Black Edition" chips and are competitive with the Noctuas running in single fan mode, and I felt that they didn't need replacement except for aesthetics.

I don't see a big need for the chipset fans. The chipset stays quite cool judging from the Asus KGPE-D16, which has passive HSFs on them and was in my Lian-Li PC-P80 with average (at best) airflow.

They probably will fail after a while and I'll probably replace them with something more fashionable :)

10e

It's my significant others' birthday that day, but maybe I could "duck out" for a bit and say hello. I'm near the magical dreamland known as Markville Mall! :clap:

LinX and Intel Burn Test are extremely RAM bandwidth sensitive. I turn my SR-2 overclock up to 4.05 Ghz or so from the 3.9Ghz it runs at, and the test shows reduction in speed because I changed RAM speed down a bit or used a different multiplier for the chip, so it may have something to do with the chips not running at quad bandwidth.

Part of me is interested in just spending the money and getting the SuperMicro case based on your post at the FoldingForum that there was a bit too much flex in the Stacker 810 motherboard tray when moving the system. Considering four chips and the fact that the board is the thickest and heaviest motherboard I've ever used, I might do that too. No problem with hitting the limits on the Enermax 1050W and tripping OCP, but that's with less RAM/slower chips than your work monster setup.

I don't personally own a system like that. My work has a 48-core, built with AMD Opteron 6174s, same board though. And a Cooler Master Stacker 810 case which is now being replaced (already) with a Supermicro SC748TQ-R1400B because at load, I'm tripping the overcurrent protection on the 1000 W Corsair power supply. So, we're going to 1.4 kW instead. New for the company and for x86/x64-based systems. But probably not new if they've ever ran any of the IBM POWER UNIX workstations.

We also have 32x 4 GB Kingston 4 GB DDR3-1333 (128 GB total) of RAM and an OCZ Agility 2 240 GB SATA2 SSD.

(It slated to run FEAs.) I've currently got Windows HPC Server 2008 x64 on it, minus the HPC add-ons (haven't installed Active Directory Domain Services on it yet/don't know how, but I'm pretty sure that I can probably google it).

The original tests that I ran also with P6900 WUs, but with only 4 DIMMS (16 GB), I was only getting 78913 PPD. That should change though because we're going to be pulling half the RAM out so that hopefully it'll keep the overcurrent protection in check, and drop that down to just 64 GB.

Interestingly enough though, according to IntelBurnTest, my Intel 980X CAD/FEA workstation gets I think like 75 GFLOPS, while the server only got 66 GFLOPS (at least in the original tests with just 16 GB of RAM).

I'll have to do more testing tomorrow once the system is back up and running.

@10e: Whereabouts in Markham are you?

I'm going to be in Toronto next weekend (Dec 18) so maybe you and I can meet up too?

MAC

Associate Review Editor
Very impressive build :thumb:

I would love to see some wPrime and maybe even Cinebench R11.5 results.

10e

Hey bud! You've gotta do the HWC wPrime benchmark competition with that thing! CMetaphor has been sitting smugly in first place for far too long!

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...rime-2-0-32m-1024m-benchmark-competition.html

Oh yeah. It's down.

By the way, it's the first box I've used that can even do 2684 work units in a day or less!

It's sitting here laughing at me with a time-per-frame of 13:58. A day is 1440 minutes, a 13:58 TPF equals 1397 (or so) minutes without upload time, which usually is 18 - 20 minutes for me.

So a unit will finish under 24 hours. Scary. The fastest recorded SR-2s can't even do this.

+1 for AMD :bananafunky:

Update:

I'll try the Cinebench later today. I tried WPrime this morning and the 32m was seemingly slow at 4.3 seconds, but the 1024m was 57.16, which looks to be the fastest.

But it is not detecting my hardware so I can't save the scores. I'll try running it at the console or IPMI (the built-in KVM) because it doesn't seem to like terminal services/RDP.

Last edited: