What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4870X2 Heat Issue?

LegendofJubei

Hello,

I seem to be having some trouble with my 4870X2. It's mounted in an antec 1200 case with all fan speeds set to high. ATI CCC shows temperature at 93 degrees, 0% activity, fan speed 33%.

I figure there has to be something wrong so I take apart the card and reapplied paste, clean out all dust and heatsink etc. and the readings are exactly the same.

I know these cards are supposed to be running hot but 93 degrees under 0% load? I'm afraid if I play a game my computer will explode...:sad:

ChuckleBrother

What driver revision are you using? Under the newest I can't even get mine to boot(LED error code R819, overheating issue). That's with Catalyst 10.5.

implosion222

def sounds like there's something wrong.. I have mines at 60% fan and they idle at 40-45degrees. I'm also using Catalyst 10.5 and Win7 64x.

LegendofJubei

Also using catalyst 10.5...

Windows Vista 32-bit, Asus P5Q deluxe mobo, Q9450 not overclocked and the video card is at 750 clock and 900 mem...gpu #2 is 37 degrees idle which is more like it.

If I increase fan speed to 100% the idle temp on gpu #1 goes to 60 degrees but the computer sounds like a vaccuum cleaner :sad:

Soultribunal

Staff member
That seems really odd for it to be that hot at no load whatsoever.

Either something is wrong on the driver side or on the CCC side of things I'd think.

Just to be stupid but did you try adjusting the fan speed to see if the fan was actually running right.

ST

Raikkonen

I had the same issue...ended up buying an Arctic Cooling Accelero for it from NCIX. Keeps the idle temps low, but the card still reaches 80 to 95 C when playing BF BC2.

implosion222

I had the same issue...ended up buying an Arctic Cooling Accelero for it from NCIX. Keeps the idle temps low, but the card still reaches 80 to 95 C when playing BF BC2.

That seems really high with an ACC cooler.. I have 2 in CF and I never go over 75 while playing BC2...

Raikkonen

That seems really high with an ACC cooler.. I have 2 in CF and I never go over 75 while playing BC2...

Yeah it is a bit high, but I'm in a room that has poor ventilation and it's on the upper floor of my house...I'm going to have to move it before the weather gets any hotter.

Latest posts