What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4k HTPC GPU ??

Caldezar

So, my current HTPC setup is an I7 4700, 16GB RAM and a 1060 6GB GPU. It's been a fantastic setup on my 1080p TV for media playback and mid-range gaming. Sometime in the next 3-4 months I'll be stepping up to 4K TV. I'm hoping that I can keep all the same guts of the current HTPC and just swap out a new GPU that puts me in the mid-range gaming at 4K. What would be my best BUDGET option for this? And how badly will the 4700 hold back the frame rates? Keep in mind, I'm fine with 40 or so FPS for my TV gaming, as I use it kind of like a replacement for a console. I'm more interested in getting the best bang for buck over the best and fastest.

I'm in no big hurry either. If the best option is to wait a few months, then that's fine.

FreeKnight

Best 'budget' option;

Used 1080 Ti, there's nothing else that'll perform in the same price range. The downside is, depending on the game, you'll still have some titles that won't stay at a steady 45+FPS at 4K. Of course if you split the res difference and go 2560x1600 you'll still get a visual upgrade but not quite as big a performance hit.

Really the 2080 and 2080Ti are the only 4K cards unless you dial down settings substantially on some titles, but it's very YRMV depending on what you're playing. I've gotten a solid 4K out of some indies and Falcom games on a 1060, but also ran into situations where say Witcher 3 slowed down at 4K on a 2080ti a few times (with texture packs admittedly)

JD

Staff member
From what I've seen, the CPU matters less at 4K as you're typically GPU bound. The CPU is really only an issue at 1080p when you're going for high FPS.

RTX 2080 seems the logical choice though, especially if you can leverage DLSS in some cases too. That should help you get something that looks like 4K when it might not actually be.

Bond007

There is no 4K gaming gpu that is budget. 1080 Ti would be the cheapest option. Anything less and settings will have to keep coming down to keep FPS up in anything demanding.

supaflyx3

+1 1080ti is the cheapest option for 4k gaming, anything else will drop below 30fps in most games

Mr. Friendly

it's true, for good 4K gaming, you need an 1080 Ti or better...however, the new GTX 1660 Ti doesn't do a half bad job, if you keep your detail settings down. which isn't too bad, as you have the ultra high 4K resolution, which help keeps everything sharp and crisp already. :)

Caldezar

This is kinda what I was concerned about. Was hoping there might be a middle ground somewhere to be had. As for a used 1080ti,what do they go for these days? Is it enough of a discount to skip going with a new product like a 2080 or Radeon 7?

nToxik

Or wait for Navi 20 this July...ish to see what it brings to the table.

FreeKnight

This is kinda what I was concerned about. Was hoping there might be a middle ground somewhere to be had. As for a used 1080ti,what do they go for these days? Is it enough of a discount to skip going with a new product like a 2080 or Radeon 7?
I haven't checked in a while, but I wouldn't pay more than $600-650 right now. Considering a 2080 which performs about the same can be 900-1000 right now, buying a used card that's years old in design and who knows how it's been used.

If you're not in a rush and watch kijiji and B/S/T you might get a better price than that, but it's hard to say since the 1080 Ti is still the best price/performance for 4K on the market right now.

Mr. Friendly

I think you can often find used 1080 Ti's for about $600. that said, the GTX 1660 Ti does 4K...check the reviews, you just can't have all your eye candy on. I suspect though, sitting as far away from the TV as you would, eye candy won't be as important as it won't really be seen. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Twitter