What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4k HTPC GPU ??

Caldezar

I think I'll wait until I actually move and buy the new TV (early summer) to see what's available. I'm assuming by then, if nothing else, the 1080ti price should be pushed down a bit more.

the_guitarboy

I think I'll wait until I actually move and buy the new TV (early summer) to see what's available. I'm assuming by then, if nothing else, the 1080ti price should be pushed down a bit more.

Some TV's are now including FreeSync support, those models would be on the top of my list if gaming performance is a concern.

LionRed

I am not sure what you watch your media with...i'd give it a go with what you have.

My experience with Emby or Plex...the only time my system takes a hit (4770k with a gtx 980ti), is when I play a 4k file and it is being trans-coded down to 1080p (I only have a 1080p tv in living room).

But when I play 4k video to a 4k tv....it is playing directly and doesn't put much, if any load on the gpu or cpu------I do have a 4k tv in computer room.

A 1060 should be able to trans-code two 4k videos down to 1080p (only due to nvidia software limitations). Oddly enough..a gtx 980ti isn't a good option for 4k trans-coding to 1080 (can't do 10bit).....but the 960 is the better choice.

Caldezar

Some TV's are now including FreeSync support, those models would be on the top of my list if gaming performance is a concern.
^^This is excellent information that I did not know. I will be doing some research now before buying a TV

I am not sure what you watch your media with...i'd give it a go with what you have.

My experience with Emby or Plex...the only time my system takes a hit (4770k with a gtx 980ti), is when I play a 4k file and it is being trans-coded down to 1080p (I only have a 1080p tv in living room).

But when I play 4k video to a 4k tv....it is playing directly and doesn't put much, if any load on the gpu or cpu------I do have a 4k tv in computer room.

A 1060 should be able to trans-code two 4k videos down to 1080p (only due to nvidia software limitations). Oddly enough..a gtx 980ti isn't a good option for 4k trans-coding to 1080 (can't do 10bit).....but the 960 is the better choice.
I believe that my current setup will absolutely be fine for pushing 4K video. My bigger concern is that I want to be able to do some light gaming in 4K as well. I suppose I could game in 1080p, but that seems like I'm missing some great use from my TV.

Latest posts

Twitter