What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4K laptop screen worth it?

Black_Ice-Dragon

I'm looking I to getting myself a new laptop and I'm wondering what peoples opinions are on all the 4K screen stuff out there such as the 4k OLED we are seeing now and other options.Do you think the increase in pixel density may be worth it? I am looking at 15" size laptops for 4k. Also I'm not sure if the 4k screens are a little more color accurate.

I realise you give up alot of battery life for 4k but I'm not terribly concerned with the work I want to do and I'll have a outlet close by most of the time.

Mostly I want to use this for learning sysadmin work, some photo editing, running vms, and remote work on my homelab. I plan to have this laptop for about 3 years so I want to make sure I get what will be best for the next couple years.

TLDR: Is the pixel density worth the extra cost? And is the color accuracy better on say a OLED?

Cptn Vortex

I would say no, not worth it. It just introduces new problems with apps scaling incorrectly (Adobe particularly, Solidworks etc), added cost, and more taxing on gpu/cpu. 1080p at 15" is great, you'll probably still find yourself scaling to 125-150%.

JD

Staff member
I would go with a 1080p/1440p OLED over a 4K option personally. It's not like you could run 4K natively anyhow, you'd be using at least 150% display scaling, probably 200%. Even my 1440p on 13.3" and 14" laptops I have, I run them at 125%.

So with scaling, it's effectively a 1080p screen anyhow to make text legible.

I'd also suggest you really think about buying a 15" laptop if you plan to carry it around with you. 13-14" is a much easier size to toss in a bag and take with you without being a burden.

Black_Ice-Dragon

Good points. I'll probably stay away from 4k at this point. Right now I'm looking at the lenovo x1 extreme. I was looking at 15" mostly because it has more I/O and I can upgrade the ram and ssd.

If I were to say look at something similar, but in a smaller size, do you have any suggestions at what I should look at?

Izerous

Folding Team
2 things I have seen brought up with 4k screens on small laptops.

-After scaling your probably not going to notice the difference, a little sharper but your talking 15in screen size, not large displays.
-4k screens on a laptop can reduce battery life compared to their 1440p/1080p counterparts.

I have seen other videos like this just happened to be one of the first ones that popped up.

Coles notes of video
Loop haven see how long battery lasts
4k @ 1080p resolution measurable but probably not noticeable reduction in battery life
4k @ 4k ~1/2 battery life compared to 1080p version of same laptop.

Mr. Friendly

Entz

Gen 2 is my #1 choice for a new laptop, I am just waiting till CES to see if they will bump up the GPU at all. A mobile 1660 super would be amazing!

I can't do 4k due to scaling issues, but they do look nice when done right. As mentioned 4k kills battery life... Notebook check actually just did a follow up on the 4K Extreme G2.

The extreme really needs a 1440p screen. All my recent thinkpads have one and its glorious even on 14" you can keep a normal scaling factor and nothing breaks.

Mr. Friendly

Gen 2 is my #1 choice for a new laptop, I am just waiting till CES to see if they will bump up the GPU at all. A mobile 1660 super would be amazing!

I can't do 4k due to scaling issues, but they do look nice when done right. As mentioned 4k kills battery life... Notebook check actually just did a follow up on the 4K Extreme G2.

The extreme really needs a 1440p screen. All my recent thinkpads have one and its glorious even on 14" you can keep a normal scaling factor and nothing breaks.
I agree! they offer it on the 14" X1 Carbon, but not on their X1 Extreme G2...totally lame. however, 500 nit FHD anti-glare screen is pretty sweet.