What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

4K laptop screen worth it?

Cptn Vortex

Zenbooks are quite nice, however after dealing with one Asus notebook warranty in the past, I'll never go with them again. They spent nearly 3 weeks "troubleshooting", and it had to be sent to Toronto, so my client was without a machine for well over a month. NBD warranty only for me and my clients at a minimum.

Mr. Friendly

Zenbooks are quite nice, however after dealing with one Asus notebook warranty in the past, I'll never go with them again. They spent nearly 3 weeks "troubleshooting", and it had to be sent to Toronto, so my client was without a machine for well over a month. NBD warranty only for me and my clients at a minimum.
x2!

Soultribunal

Staff member
I love the Lenovo X series, but they throttle something fierce when taxed. We've gotten a few for work as content creation / 'other' since we have a Partnership with Lenovo and Ingram Micro (one of their larger Disti's). I also wasn't a fan of the rigidity of the chassis.

Their Thinkpad's however are marvelous pieces of technology and durability. I've had great success with them and would suggest to anyone looking for something like that.
As for the 4K, I've never liked it on a Laptop screen, even the 17" ones. Much like everyone else the scaling is one issue and the amount it taxes the system resources is another.

-ST

ipaine

I will chime in here with regards to Lenovo. Just recently I have had to deal with a few different failures (my daughters, and 2 other work ones) and I can tell you that this has taught me something about the Lenovo warranty. Get the premier option, not just the standard on-site warranty. Before these laptops I had always dealt with their premier support and it had been fine and things got dealt with quickly. The techs seemed decently knowledgeable and didn't question every little troubleshooting step I had already taken.

But the standard on-site, is something else, even if you manage to deal with the tech on the phone or chat and finally convince them that you need parts, they get sent in 3-5 business days. So it can take ages to get things fixed, even more so if the first part doesn't fix the issue.

So yes premier is more expensive, but it is so much better and faster, and in my mind a must if getting Lenovo.

As for what we get at work, I'd say mostly X1 carbon, a few X1 extreme's, and just recently have gotten a few of the new Thinkbook 14s machines.

Mr. Friendly

hey ipaine...when you walk it into a depot, you're good...especially since where I work is a depot and BIG is local to it. ;)

premier gives you the same rep / tech for the whole ticket cycle, so there's no explaining again and again and again if you call in multiple times as you get a new rep each time. but when you walk it into the depot...same thing, you get the tech that does the repair.

Last edited:

ipaine

hey ipaine...when you walk it into a depot, you're good...especially since where I work is a depot and BIG is local to it. ;)

premier gives you the same rep / tech for the whole ticket cycle, so there's no explaining again and again and again if you call in multiple times as you get a new rep each time. but when you walk it into the depot...same thing, you get the tech that does the repair.
Well being able to walk it into the depot is just cheating. 😝

Cptn Vortex