What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

50 Million! Top 20 PPD! Top 100 overall!

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
In Task Manager, or use Prifinitty. Works great.

23 hours before breaking the 100th rank.

Apollo4g

Vista 64.....dont see it as i check for CPU activity and VMware is showing 0 when it is folding....hmmm

chrisk

Folding Captain
Apollo: If you start up Task Manager, and then click the top of the "CPU" column, then the vmware folding machine application should be at, or near, the top, as you end up sorting all your running programs by CPU usage. What are the top apps you see there?

Apollo4g

yup i see it in task manager Chris, i wanted to know if i can get it in prifinity so i can arrange all of them accordingly and with one program. As well as prifinity saves the affinities to my knowledge and the task manager does not.

Wow what does 2 VM's put anyones i7 at temperature wise? Im running 4Ghz, HT one, does HT make a difference in folding btw?

matsta31

for pure CPU folding, HT enalbe you to run another task... anyway this is how rosetta works ! :)

Apollo4g

So how does HT work.

It shows 8 cores but there is only 4. So its 2 cores per cores? 1 virtual one actual?

LoL sounds confusing but it would be nice to know so i can set my affinity to the cores accordingly.

zlojack

So how does HT work.

It shows 8 cores but there is only 4. So its 2 cores per cores? 1 virtual one actual?

LoL sounds confusing but it would be nice to know so i can set my affinity to the cores accordingly.
That's correct. HT definitely helps with folding as you get two threads per core.

sswilson

Staff member
That's correct. HT definitely helps with folding as you get two threads per core.

Does it actually help PPD?

My (very basic) understanding of the benfits to HT is that it allows for more concurrent tasks to be run, thus it would speed things up if you have more than 4 tasks which don't use 100% of CPU resources. Since each instance of folding (FAH or Rosetta) uses 100% of CPU resources I'd think that you're just "robbing peter to pay paul" by running 8 instances.

I don't have an HT enabled cpu to verify any of this though, so I'm only guessing. (Could be that using HT uses those resources more efficiently).

zlojack

Well, I haven't tested that, but I'm getting 7k ppd out of my i7 920 at 3GHz

Latest posts