What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

$500 budget build

biggyk

Have a family friend that wants a new desktop built and said there budget is $500. This is just a basic system. Web browsing, email, documents, nothing special. I was pricing out a few options and I was thinking a AMD apu. Been kinda difficult to get it close to $500. Just wanted to get some advise as to what setup I should go with.

Thanks

Bond007

APUs haven't been updated in forever...I mean a proper update (thought they supposedly this fall). I would base it on a cheap hyperthreaded Pentium. G4560 or G4600, 8gb ram, and 120gb ssd (should be fine for their uses).

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Agreed.....

If they aren't gaming then intel onboard would be more than enough for general use.

Is the $500 budget supposed to include monitor and peripherals? (That'd be tough to do without used parts).

JD

Staff member

biggyk

Agreed.....

If they aren't gaming then intel onboard would be more than enough for general use.

Is the $500 budget supposed to include monitor and peripherals? (That'd be tough to do without used parts).
I dont think so as yes that would be pretty much impossible.

Generally speaking, at $500, I would pickup something from your nearest big-box store instead. You'll get a lot "more" than what you can achieve doing it yourself.

Examples:
Acer Aspire XC Desktop PC (AMD A6-7310/1TB HDD/12GB RAM/AMD Radeon R4 Graphics/Windows 10) : Everyday Computing - Best Buy Canada
ASUS M32 Desktop PC (AMD A10-7800/2TB HDD/8GB RAM/Windows 10) : Everyday Computing - Best Buy Canada
Il look into it. Thanks for the advice

moocow

Looks like DarkLord got 2 A10 for sale for about $120 to $140 but it's still tight if you don't have monitor. May I ask why A6 is no good for a simple web browser or just no at that price?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus - A68HM-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($55.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: ADATA - XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: ADATA - Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.22 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec - Basiq 350W ATX Power Supply ($47.99 @ PC Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($119.25 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus - VS197D-P 18.5" 1366x768 Monitor ($94.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $504.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-06 15:13 EDT-0400

MARSTG

Last edited:

frontier204

Web browsing, email, documents, nothing special.
If by documents you don't mean Microsoft Office offline and all the stuff is stored on the cloud, a Chromebook (or Chromebox for the desktop equivalent) would work as well and be a good deal under $500. (If you can tolerate Microsoft Office through a browser there's the cloud version for free on Microsoft OneDrive.)

Otherwise as mentioned with that budget + non-gaming, I agree for big box store or refurbished computer. One thing I'd caution is that many big box computers come with horrendously slow hard drives. I'd recommend getting an SSD or at least a Seagate FireCuda or you'll be completely bottlenecked on disk access.

Here's another interesting option on the refurbished business computer side - for once a cheap desktop that comes with an SSD:
https://ca.refurb.io/collections/de...4590s-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-dvd-rw-windows-10-pro

(My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6430 from that same web site.)

JD

Staff member
But at the same time, having a large capacity HDD means you don't need to worry about telling them they aren't allowed to store all their pictures and every file they've ever downloaded on the PC.

A 120GB SSD can be pretty limiting these days if they don't know how to save their files elsewhere.