What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

5000+ BE or regular 6000+

Scart

My old 4200+ processor is really starting to limit me, so I'm thinking of a little upgrade as the am2 processors are pretty cheap now. I'm just wondering if the 5000+ black edition will offer more for overclocking and 20 bucks cheaper, or if it would be better to just get the 6000+ for 20 bucks more and 400 more mhz.

What do you guys think?

sswilson

Staff member
If previous AMD lines are any indication you'll get just as much (or more because of the unlocked multi) out of the 5000+ as you will out of the 6000+.

Their final offerings in a particular socket tend to offer the same performance as earlier chips, they're just binned higher.

geokilla

Did you overclock your 4200+? Assuming you have a good chip, it should reach 2.7Ghz easily.

I've read that the 5000+ BE can get up to 3Ghz easily. However, is it worth it to spend like $70 on a new CPU? That's the question you gotta answer.

Scart

I had overclocked it previously and i got it up to 2.64. Then my hard drive crashed and I really don't feel like messing with that again. I'm just gunna upgrade and then go from there.

And I only have a medium-sized cooler master hyper tx2 to cool it, so heat may prevent me from pushing the 5000+ too far.

Eagle Eye

My 5000+ BE sits @ 3.2ghz since the day it come out of the box and that was with a simple multiplyer change to 16 and a bump in voltage 1.4125 in the bios runs smooth and cool on a TRUE. Also for 70 dollars you can't go wrong with that it will even chase down a phenom or 2 in certain situations.

Last edited:

Latest posts