What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

65nm Brisbane "released"

M

Misoprostol

I think it came out when AMD started talking about performance per watt in their multi-way servers. Like anything server related, it took a while, but then trickled down to the desktop users.

sswilson

Staff member
It can only be a good thing.

It's getting a bit silly how large a PSU we need to run even a mid range system. Hopefully with this kind of benchmark in the engineers' minds we'll scale back a bit on power requirements / generated heat.

I'm probably picking up a 600W GameXstream today to make sure I've got enough to power a 1950 pro. (Would have gone for the 700w, but I'll never run Crossfire so the 600 should do the trick).

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, but I wouldn't have it for christmas and they'd probably charge me $30 to ship it.... :)

That is a really good price though, they retail around here for $199.

M

Misoprostol

I have the 600W and no complaints. It's a very solid unit. Honestly though, if I was buying a power supply today, I'd check out Silverstone's offerings...

sswilson

Staff member
If I had my choice (and money wasn't an object) I'd buy a PCpower & Cooling with a single fat (60a +) 12v line.... :)

G

If I had my choice (and money wasn't an object) I'd buy a PCpower & Cooling with a single fat (60a +) 12v line.... :)
Buddy of mine, Transnone13, some of you might know him got the 1000w and it's just sick ultrastable rails sweet as hell, but my FSP 600w epsilon cost me a third of what he paid, they are nice but way too much cash IMO.
That fortron I got is stable as hell might want to check them out if you are in the market for a new PSU.

sswilson

Staff member
A 1000w PCp&C?????

Holy cwap!!!!! That's probably enough to power 3 mid-range systems!!! :)

According to the Recommended PS list over at the DFI user forums the FSP epsilon 600/700 & the OCZ GameXstream 600/700 are virtually the same PS. (All 4 are highly recommended with the caveat that the OCZ 600 isn't recommended for ati 1900+ crossfire systems).

I would have prefered the FSP just for the natty blue colour, but my source here couldn't get it for me before christmas so I grabbed an OCZ 600 instead.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh....

Just had a look at the 1000w PCp&C. 72a on the single 12v rail, & the 1000w rating is continuous with the peak being 1100.

All I can say about the price is that you do indeed get what you pay for. When they put out a PS you know that the quoted specs are not fudged to make them look better.

Latest posts

Twitter