What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

6850 Artifacting

great_big_abyss

A co-worker of mine has a 6850 (I think it's an XFX) with a dual-fan cooler on it. After long sessions of gaming (BF3) he starts to get confetti-like artifacting.

This would be the card overheating, correct?

I told him to download MSI Afterburner and up the fan speed on his GPU. If that doesn't work, I told him to bring the card in and give it to me for an evening. I'll remove and repaste the heatsink, as well as do a thorough cleaning, then give it a good stress testing.

Any other insights? What else could cause artifacting like this. AFAIK it's stock clocked...

bliz

Check temps first,then tell him to update drivers,we never know... if it's stock clocks,i don't know why,but i know a few cards of a few brands that were said to artifact in BF3 for no reason...

great_big_abyss

Yeah, not sure he'll do that....He's not the most computer savvy person on the planet, unfortunately. He's a recent Xbox convert, and just wants a machine to play BF3 on.

Arinoth

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the card is over heating from the crappy default profiles most cards have along with I BET you anything he has little to no airflow in his case, meaning the stale/hot air is sticking around adding to the overheating.

great_big_abyss

Nah, his case actually has decent airflow.

He bought a new 7850 this evening. He doesn't think he has the receipt for the 6850, so he'll give it to me, and I'll take it apart and re paste it, stress test it, etc. and if I can salvage it he'll try selling it.

Latest posts

Twitter