What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

7-8" Android Tablet

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
So the 2nd battery in my old Nvidia Shield Tablet is about done, and I'm looking for suggestions for a new 7-8" Android tablet. It's basically for reading e-books, web browsing and video watching, I don't game on my tablet. Must have microSD card expansion ability. Not a Fire tablet, we have a couple in the house and Google Store access is a must. 10" is too big, I can't hold that with one hand while reading in bed, which is 90% of my tablet usage.

I see the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite & Lenovo Tab M8. Other suggestions?

clshades

So the 2nd battery in my old Nvidia Shield Tablet is about done, and I'm looking for suggestions for a new 7-8" Android tablet. It's basically for reading e-books, web browsing and video watching, I don't game on my tablet. Must have microSD card expansion ability. Not a Fire tablet, we have a couple in the house and Google Store access is a must. 10" is too big, I can't hold that with one hand while reading in bed, which is 90% of my tablet usage.

I've been replacing tablets at the ski chalet with the lenovo m8. Zero issues, runs great for the price.

JD

Staff member
I grabbed the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite for a Christmas present, set it up and it seems relatively responsive, though not the fastest. Resolution is mediocre, 1080p would have been preferred. The metal back gives it a solid feel. At least it's on Android 11 and seems to get some updates.

I skipped over the Lenovo M8 as it's only 2GB RAM and still on Android 9. Doubtful they'll ever update it.

Bond007

It don’t have any additional recommendations, but I will say that generally lenovo tablets get you better hardware for the $, or a cheaper price (trade off being minimal or no major updates). Samsung you generally pay a bit more and/or have slower hardware, but get much better support/ updates.

Depending on uses, budget, and how long you expect to realistically use the device, the above points can push you one way or another.

Mr. Friendly

I am curious about this. they did mention that getting what they wanted onto the kids tablets was onerous though...so perhaps they have? or perhaps they did it the hard way and you're about to tell them the easy way? ;)

you could get one of those nifty pillow tables and use a book stand to make it easier in using a larger tablet?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
With the fires did you actually try the process of sideloading the play store?
Yes. It worked on the Fire 8 but wasn't ever able to get the 7 going. I tried multiple times, and am familiar with loading custom roms on phones and tablets. Now I use apkmirror for whatever my daughter wants that's not on the Amazon store.

you could get one of those nifty pillow tables and use a book stand to make it easier in using a larger tablet?
A 10" tablet is a no go for me, they are too heavy and awkward. I read in bed lying on my side, holding the tablet with one hand. Usually 30 minutes a night. It's how I decompress and get ready to sleep, by reading in my sleeping position. Reading e-books is 95% of my tablet usage, and I load some movies and shows when we travel. I don't game on my tablet, I have a gaming PC for that or use my phone to play Word Stacks. :p

Lysrin

Reading e-books is 95% of my tablet usage, and I load some movies and shows when we travel. I don't game on my tablet, I have a gaming PC for that or use my phone to play Word Stacks. :p
Side point to your OP, but have you ever tried one of the e-readers? My wife and I both love our Kobos. It do find it easier on the eyes than reading on my phone or tablet. But tablet certainly wins for movies and shows, I get that ;)

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I had one of the original Kobos. I don't really want to buy 2 devices. Leaning toward the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, would prefer the newer version of Android.

FreeKnight

I'm using
Yes. It worked on the Fire 8 but wasn't ever able to get the 7 going. I tried multiple times, and am familiar with loading custom roms on phones and tablets. Now I use apkmirror for whatever my daughter wants that's not on the Amazon store.

A 10" tablet is a no go for me, they are too heavy and awkward. I read in bed lying on my side, holding the tablet with one hand. Usually 30 minutes a night. It's how I decompress and get ready to sleep, by reading in my sleeping position. Reading e-books is 95% of my tablet usage, and I load some movies and shows when we travel. I don't game on my tablet, I have a gaming PC for that or use my phone to play Word Stacks. :p
I can't speak to the 7-8" Fires, but I used fire toolbox on the newest 10" Fire and got google play on it without an issue. Literally plug into the PC, couple clicks and done.

Does google have an in-house tablet that may be an option. My only caveat is that the Samsung iteration will have the samsung version of google (touchwiz or whatever they call it now). It's still not as good as a clean android OS IMO, at least since the note 9.