What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

7300GT - Fan Failure

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
So I've just had a 7300GT dropped off on my desk. It appears the fan failed and popped 5 1500uF caps that ran along one side of it. What are the chances that the core is still OK and just replacing the caps and the fan will resurrect it? I've got the caps, but I'd probably have to fork out some dough for an aftermarket cooler.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
Well. Seems these caps are complete crap, there's a LOT of complaints out there about these particular ones. I've removed the heatsink and the core looks OK. I think I'll give it a shot, I can probably slap a P3 heatsink on it to test.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'd say your chances are better than 50/50. Caps are used to regulate voltage dips and the like Before the major component that needs it. If the capacitor fails, its possible that everything after it is fine... since the capacitor is essentially an open circuit after it "pops". But don't take my word for it! (Reading Rainbox? :biggrin:) :thumb:

Perineum

That's what I would do... No real harm in trying it out. Blow a house fan on that P3 heatsink too, hehe

Arinoth

Staff member
If you use the correct caps (value, tolerances, etc) and have some kind of heat sink (like that p3) with a fan blowing on it (for safety) i could see you having about a 75% chance of success if you have knowledge in proper soldering techniques (aka you know how to solder properly) and take the correct safety measures (the heat sink + external fan)

Sushi Warrior

It shouldn't need that big of a heatsink, I owned 2 7300GT's that stayed under 45C with a tiny little heatsink while OC'd a hell of a lot.

KaptCrunch

Arinoth

depends on what you call solder job.......Don't forget the iron using is it ESD safe, using a non-solder station iron, can give 27vac on the tip and cook all the chips!

best thing to do is heat up iron then disconnect ac power an touch ground on circuit

Latest posts

Twitter