What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

7300GT - Fan Failure

Arinoth

Staff member
Arinoth

depends on what you call solder job.......Don't forget the iron using is it ESD safe, using a non-solder station iron, can give 27vac on the tip and cook all the chips!

best thing to do is heat up iron then disconnect ac power an touch ground on circuit

Kinda of what you said, i haven't had to touch up a video card however i have dealt with soldering chips/sockets/etc on pcb boards so doing it right is what i meant to say or imply. Since ESD is the silent killer sometimes

Safearus

Yeah, I'll have to agree on the 75% chance to res the card, make sure that your caps are the proper values. And when doing the solder work on something this precise you'll want a very thin tipped iron. The best advice I can give you is to heat the lead of the cap and apply solder that way. You shouldn't touch the card itself at all with the soldering iron.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
I'm fairly certian I have the skills and equipment required to do this, I just happened to have the correct capacitors on hand for the repair after all. ;^) A S370 cooler with a fan should be more than enough, provided I didn't throw them out a couple of weeks ago when I cleaned out all the useless crap I'd never need again.

Safearus

I'm fairly certian I have the skills and equipment required to do this, I just happened to have the correct capacitors on hand for the repair after all. ;^) A S370 cooler with a fan should be more than enough, provided I didn't throw them out a couple of weeks ago when I cleaned out all the useless crap I'd never need again.

Yeah, those "spare part" boxes can help a lot sometimes!

TopDogZero

Interesting thing it seems like older CAPS have started to go bad on me too. About a month ago I changed my kids old P4 board (Asus, VIA chipset) with bad caps feeding the memory, would fail memtest but on another board no problems, and constant reboots. And a few days ago my D-link Gigabit switch stopped working, popped it open and 2 caps were swollen, going to try and change them and see what happens.

For any one who does not know why the caps are going bad have a look here Badcaps.net - What Causes This

I can see more caps start failing as time goes by, this can affect any electronics that use electrolyte capacitors (not solid caps, so far :blarg:) motherboards, add-in cards and power supplies are the main components in a PC that are going to be affected if using bad quality caps.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
OK, it's not a single slot card any more, these caps I picked up for fixing motherboards are a tad high as is the Intel fan stuck on top of the original heatsink.

35404a8bddb402a97.jpg

This card wasn't very old, I think the 9 series cards were out when it was bought. Anyway, now the moment of truth, I have to test it.