What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

<750W suggestions? [SOLVED]

jalmir

So, I'm looking to replace my power supply for something recent and reliable, the one I'm using now is a 3 year old HEC Orion 585W that I paid 25$! (yeah I know, sketchy PSU!)

My current rig is a C2Q with 2 HD7770, so nothing too power hungry though I would like to have playing room so I could use that PSU on future builds.

So now what I'm looking for is a good PSU around 500-600w that are under 100CAD shipping included! But there are literally hundreds of options!

Saw a few EVGA 750w on sale around 80$ (with taxes and shipping it's around 100$), but I'm really not sure. I saw a Thermaltake SP-1000M on Amazon for 70$ but apparently there is no 4pin aux power with this (find it hard to believe but I saw that mentioned on 2 reviews!)

Thoughts???

EDIT (forgot to mention that);

So I need;
  • 2x PCIE connectors
  • >500W
  • modular doesn't matter
  • at least 80+
  • NOT Antec (the 2 I ever owned died after the warranty and killed hardware, so thanks but no thanks)

EDIT 2 : Updated budget, I could stretch it to 150$ max (ideally 140$)
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/power-supplies/70049-750w-suggestions.html#post801392

Last edited:

jalmir

ok, some reading got me further a bit ... What I think I have right now as choices;

EVGA 500B / 600B or SuperNOVA NEX 750W (depending what's on sales)
Corsair CX series (up to 750W depending what's on sales)
SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze
XFX TS Edition PRO650W
Fractal Tesla R2 (650W)

I'm thinking either the XFX (made by SeaSonic) or the Fractal Design Tesla ... I'll have to sleep on it, unles you guys have more suggestions?

Lysrin

Just stumbled across this review, 10/10 from jonnyGURU, pretty impressive: EVGA 550 G2 Review.

Selling for, he says $84.99 USD on Newegg. Looks like $119.99 CAD on Newegg.ca (same price at NCIX.com) so a little beyond your price range. I have a 850 G2 and I am very pleased with it. Nicest power supply I have ever had.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
The one I noticed out of your list was the seasonic 520W.

Any chance you could be convinced to come up to $150? That'd open up a lot more possibilities.

Does anybody have input on the EVGA models? I know some of our members have had bad luck with the G series in spite of great reviews, but the B models have been around as a budget brand for quite a while as well... just haven't really heard much about them.

jalmir

Thanks for the suggestions, my budget could actually be closer to 150$ if I need, but not more, really!

So I guess I could look at those price points and see where it leads!

jalmir

updated list with a 140 max budget, I know I said 150$ but my budget is really tight, I won't get into details but my spending rate is high right now (in-laws immigration fees, car repairs and maintenance and house plumbing repairs), that leaves me with holes in my pockets, that 140-150$ is money I got from selling a few things I didn't need on eBay, and that's when I could actually sell something!

XFX TS 750W
XFX TS 650W <- best option
SeaSonic S12G-750
SeaSonic S12G-650 <- best option

The 650W seems the best options because they come up to around 140$ tx and shipping included.

If I could afford it I would simply go with a Seasonic SS-760XP2

sswilson

Staff member
updated list with a 140 max budget, I know I said 150$ but my budget is really tight, I won't get into details but my spending rate is high right now (in-laws immigration fees, car repairs and maintenance and house plumbing repairs), that leaves me with holes in my pockets, that 140-150$ is money I got from selling a few things I didn't need on eBay, and that's when I could actually sell something!

XFX TS 750W
XFX TS 650W <- best option
SeaSonic S12G-750
SeaSonic S12G-650 <- best option

The 650W seems the best options because they come up to around 140$ tx and shipping included.

If I could afford it I would simply go with a Seasonic SS-760XP2

The previously posted NCIX link for the seasonic includes free shipping which would save you a relatively substantial amount of money.