What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8-core Coffee Lake and other info leaked

Groove

Lysrin

From the article it says:

"On the Intel side, we see that the much-leaked Z390 chipset won’t be debuting until Q3 2018. The slide seemingly confirms earlier leaks that the chipset will support future 10nm Cannon Lake (CNL) and current Coffee Lake (CFL) processors."

So that seems to say the Z390 would support the current Coffee Lake and newer processors. But it didn't seem to say if a new 8-core would drop into an existing Coffee Lake board. I wondered because I don't think the new 8-cores being talked about are 10nm yet? Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

Here was an earlier article, little (very) more info on the 8-cores.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-docs-reference-eight-core-coffee-lake-cpu,36895.html

UPDATE: This article has a little more speculation about the nm size: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/267618-intel-docs-reference-8-core-coffee-lake-cpu

Last edited:

Lysrin

being Intel announced 10nm Cannon Lake is delayed to 2019, it's unlikely an octo core Coffee Lake would be 10nm. especially so being a die shrink is usually given a new project name.

So that would support that they might work in existing Coffee Lake boards? I suppose they likely have requirements of the Z390 chipset separate from the die size.

I don't have a Coffee Lake system obviously, just curious as to where this 8-core chip might fall in the sequence of chips, and of course if 8-cores worked in the existing boards one could get a used board and new chip, perhaps save little money.

MARSTG

And AMD taking a page from Intel's business practice and launching only the top chipset together with the cpu refresh for a few months.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
So that would support that they might work in existing Coffee Lake boards? I suppose they likely have requirements of the Z390 chipset separate from the die size.

I don't have a Coffee Lake system obviously, just curious as to where this 8-core chip might fall in the sequence of chips, and of course if 8-cores worked in the existing boards one could get a used board and new chip, perhaps save little money.
it's surmised that the 8 core processor is Intel's planned response to the Ryzen Plus, which is why they think an R7 2800 and 2800X weren't launched/announced. It may have been reserved to see what Intel did.

now that's all guestimation, but it makes sense. :whistle:

stlouis1

I can understand the newer 6-8core chips not working in older boards due to power requirements, and no valid reason for a 7700k chip not to work in a newer board. but it's like they just got lazy f-it all. they should have just made another new socket and at least we'd all say "not another socket ffs" and it would end there