What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8700K - Fluctuating core speeds at idle when OC'ed?

Lysrin

I know, I know! I need to do that. It is on "the list" ;)

You are right about the voltage concern. I have read about that with the auto-overclock tools. And that is why I have been trying to watch what it's doing. Like I mentioned above during a Prime95 run, all cores at 4.8, voltage never showed higher than 1.25 v. That is an OK value from what I read about OC'ing 8700K.

Are you saying it might be pushing the voltage higher than what I see in the monitoring software? Using HWMonitor and CPUTemp in addition to the AI Suite.

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
Last edited:

Lysrin

Thanks Valkyrie. When I saw your name come up in this thread I thought you'd give me a jab for not getting around to the RAM overclocking we discussed ages ago! ;)

That is also on the list but other things seems to keep getting added to the top of my list that other people seem to feel at more important! lol

I would like to push the OC a bit more manually, for the learning experience mostly as the boost in performance over the current auto 4.8 won't make a huge difference. But I am likely not going to try that until I get the custom loop built that I am tracking in my WIP thread.

Valkyrie

Thanks Valkyrie. When I saw your name come up in this thread I thought you'd give me a jab for not getting around to the RAM overclocking we discussed ages ago! ;)

That is also on the list but other things seems to keep getting added to the top of my list that other people seem to feel at more important! lol

I would like to push the OC a bit more manually, for the learning experience mostly as the boost in performance over the current auto 4.8 won't make a huge difference. But I am likely not going to try that until I get the custom loop built that I am tracking in my WIP thread.

You won't get any jabs from me. I'll be the first to admit that OC'ing can become very time consuming.

The basic stuff doesn't have to be though.

rjbarker

I know, I know! I need to do that. It is on "the list" ;)

You are right about the voltage concern. I have read about that with the auto-overclock tools. And that is why I have been trying to watch what it's doing. Like I mentioned above during a Prime95 run, all cores at 4.8, voltage never showed higher than 1.25 v. That is an OK value from what I read about OC'ing 8700K.

Are you saying it might be pushing the voltage higher than what I see in the monitoring software? Using HWMonitor and CPUTemp in addition to the AI Suite.

Its not just vcore Auto OC'ing will set high.....its a bunch of other voltages as well....
1.25v under load is good (what are idle voltages? knowing idle and knowing load will give you an idea of vDroop)...but you may find that you can reduce that more ...and have a look at other voltages ....vDIMM....VCIIO....etc....

I wouldnt run a CPUat 1.52v...that Intel spec sheet is misleading imo....make your upper limit 1.4v (personally mine is 1.35v - 1.39v as upperl imit)....but I can guarentee you will run in to thermal issues at close to that likely.....

Valkyrie

The Intel specs are set for stock clocks and thermals with worst case silicon. They know exactly what they're doing as they've been making CPU's for a few years.

Similarly, Asus knows exactly what they can get away with and not kill your chip in any number years you're likely to be using it.

As mentioned you can very likely get more for less if you want to play around with it. If you have the interest and the time, by all means go for it. We'll be here to help and advise if required.

rjbarker

The Intel specs are set for stock clocks and thermals with worst case silicon. They know exactly what they're doing as they've been making CPU's for a few years.

Similarly, Asus knows exactly what they can get away with and not kill your chip in any number years you're likely to be using it.

As mentioned you can very likely get more for less if you want to play around with it. If you have the interest and the time, by all means go for it. We'll be here to help and advise if required.

.....stick to to 1.4v as your cap ...thats sensible...there has been much discussion on the Intel spec of 1.52v as "safe" (review the Intel Spec sheet..its not "black n white"..its how you decipher the VID and Voltages)...there really is no benefit to pushing harder for a 24/7 OC beyond your 1.4v anyhow.......:whistle:....CPU degradation is something to consider and take seriously......I certainly wouldnt tell someone to push there CPU that high unless they have great Cooling and only for a few Bench runs :thumb: ...even with a decent Custom Loop your thermals will likely be capped at around 1.4v when stability testing ......as said Lyserin....hop on over to ROG and check out some of the info on the OC'ing threads....great site...see you there :punk:

Last edited:

Valkyrie

.....stick to to 1.4v as your cap ...thats sensible...there has been much discussion on the Intel spec of 1.52v as "safe" (review the Intel Spec sheet..its not "black n white"..its how you decipher the VID and Voltages)...there really is no benefit to pushing harder for a 24/7 OC beyond your 1.4v anyhow.......:whistle:....CPU degradation is something to consider and take seriously......I certainly wouldnt tell someone to push there CPU that high unless they have great Cooling and only for a few Bench runs :thumb: ...even with a decent Custom Loop your thermals will likely be capped at around 1.4v when stability testing ......as said Lyserin....hop on over to ROG and check out some of the info on the OC'ing threads....great site...see you there :punk:

Did you miss the part where I said stock clock and thermal conditions.......worst case silicon....and all that.......

I agree that lower is better for 24/7, but the Asus tool will not kill the chip anytime soon.

I'm not suggesting to run the chip at up to 1.52 Volts. I'm suggesting his AI overclock is well in the safe zone.

I read the ROG site also.....

Lysrin

I certainly get your points guys, and yes understood that trying to run at the max 1.52 was never a recommendation for an overclock.

I'd like to keep the voltage low as is reasonable while keeping the chip at >4.5-4.6 GHz. The 8700K is proving a nice little boost over the 4790K (I was surprised at the Kingdome Come Deliverance change) so pushing a high overclock isn't a priority to me. I don't need the "5.0 GHz badge" at this point! I'm more concerned about getting the speed up to what I said, 4.7 or 4.8 is nice, and to get the temps and noise down even when under load.

At one point last night playing World of Tanks, the cores stayed between 4.6-4.8, much of the time at 4.8, and I was a little surprised to see one of the cores hit 81C; similar to my Prime95 temp albeit on one core. It didn't stay there long but it did get there. I would say average temps across cores was 60-72C or so. The one voltage as monitored by CPUTemp never went above 1.25-1.27 V, definitely never made it to 1.3 V.

rjbarker, to your previous question, when the cores drop to 0.8 GHz I've seen the single reported voltage goes as low as ~0.6 V.

Valkyrie

That very nice MB you're running must have a BIOS that reports what it is auto setting stuff at. That makes it quite easy to look things over and start sneaking certain things down or up, as the case may be.

The AI tool is quick and dirty...but safe. It won't kill your chip, but it also won't give you a marginally stable OC. It will err on the side of stability (without going into the unsafe zone.) There is certainly room to play, but then you're into stability testing on your time.

That chip seems to be good to go...so...go for it!:thumb:

Twitter