What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8700K to a 5900X ... madness right?

Lysrin

I dunno, maybe I've been on COVID lockdown too long, but spending a bunch of money on an upgrade from a perfectly fine water cooled 8700K build to a 5900X build, when more cores and PCI-E gen 4 isn't really needed is a crazy waste of money right? ... right?! Really a non-existent GPU purchase, whenever that could happen, would make more sense.

Asking for a friend :p

sswilson

Staff member
I was amazed at how much more computational power a 3700X had over my 8700K, and now I've got a 3900XT in it's place. That PC's daily duties are mostly lightroom and slicing .STL files for 3D printing so I justify the upgrade with that. :)

A 5900X would be an even more impressive computational upgrade.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
It really depends on the use case and would have to require the extra cores.

For most tasks and gaming at 1440 and above there would be minimal improvements.

Lysrin

Thanks for humoring me guys :) I'm really not doing anything on this PC that requires more cores. It is my gaming PC, and I do some hobby coding on it but the 8700K churns through those compiles no problem. More cores for VMs is of course always nice, but again, for the cost...? And even working from home more now, all that is done on my work laptop, not my personal PC, so I that isn't an avenue to justify it. It'd really only be an upgrade for the fun of it. A 3080 Ti if that is ever possible would make more sense.

This all started because @Sagath posted his motherboard on BST! It is sitting out there... taunting me... Then 5900X became available at ME at I think a reasonable price.

That is interesting about the computational boost from the 3700X and 3900XT. I'm sure I'd love the upgrade for the fun of it, but I dunno.

Again... thanks. I hesitated to make this post because it's thinking-out-loud quality only. But you guys have talked me off purchase ledges several times in the past!

Coach

I moved from an 8700k at 5.0 moved to a 5900x myself. I have no regrets however my life has not dramatically changed because of it either.
My IP cam security monitoring software uses a constant 30-40% of my 5900x and so it is nice to have some headroom. That said my 8700k could do the same work albeit with less headroom. I rarely game and when I do a 5900x is not needed.

I am glad I added my name to the 5900x waiting list in October 2020 over at ME. The 5900x arrived in early 2021. I just wish I had had ordered a new GPU then too...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Oh. Thanks for the reminder! That mobo finally sold, if that makes it any easier. 😉

crazyea

Personally, I am so tempted to get the 5950x and a Dark Hero, but I already have a 10900k and maximus XII Hero, so I feel that it would be a pretty dumb move for me. Plus I would need to also get a GPU and that's a fools errand these days.

Latest posts

Twitter