What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8700K to a 5900X ... madness right?

Lysrin

Personally, I am so tempted to get the 5950x and a Dark Hero, but I already have a 10900k and maximus XII Hero, so I feel that it would be a pretty dumb move for me. Plus I would need to also get a GPU and that's a fools errand these days.
Yup, I get the feeling though entirely. Mine is still the 8700K set up that you sold me iirc. I was also tempted by your last set up you had for sale, but talked myself out of that too (did that sell btw? ;) )

The thing is the upgrades are expensive enough that doing it just for the fun of it is a hard sell. Sub-$1000 makes it a good just for fun project by my measure. Beyond that makes me feel like I need to justify it for more "real" reasons; need more performance, need a feature that comes with the new specs, etc. I can't really get there with this upgrade.

Even my daughter is still doing just fine with the 4790K that went to her when I went to the 8700K. So I can't even justify it through that route! :LOL:

crazyea

My last system sold to a chia miner on Craigslist. He was a pretty nice guy and we talked about chia for a bit. It worked out better for me as people from CL tend to pay a bit more than my fellow HWC's. LOL.

moocow

My last system sold to a chia miner on Craigslist. He was a pretty nice guy and we talked about chia for a bit. It worked out better for me as people from CL tend to pay a bit more than my fellow HWC's. LOL.
Please don't stop listing on HWC. I rather deal with randos here (with community activity) than randos on CL or FB.

crazyea

Please don't stop listing on HWC. I rather deal with randos here (with community activity) than randos on CL or FB.

I rather deal here than with CL too, so I always list here first. Having good feedback helps a lot with a quick sale, plus it's easier for me to ship than meet up most of the time. Then I list on RFD. I usually wait a few days and then list on CL, that is unless I need it gone ASAP. This usually comes with a slight markup. Sometimes I even end up selling to HWC members on CL. It's weird though when that happens. Why didn't they buy here? Who knows. HAHA.

Lysrin

I rather deal here than with CL too, so I always list here first. Having good feedback helps a lot with a quick sale, plus it's easier for me to ship than meet up most of the time. Then I list on RFD. I usually wait a few days and then list on CL, that is unless I need it gone ASAP. This usually comes with a slight markup. Sometimes I even end up selling to HWC members on CL. It's weird though when that happens. Why didn't they buy here? Who knows. HAHA.
Well I think your last sale was a very good deal for whoever got it.

I always prefer buying stuff on here now. I almost bought your last one just because it was you selling it! I've a lot of great used purchases from folks on here. It's a crazy world out there! Nice to feel like you know people you're buying from or selling too, at least a little, even just via forum contact.

JD

Staff member
5950X is the most logical because its the fastest chip you'll be able to run on AM4 :)

The way I saw it back at the end of 2020 when I placed the order, was that this chip will have many purposes down the road for many years to come. I also saw it as, well I have this $1000 motherboard here, it needs a $1000+ CPU :rolleyes:

But regardless, I don't think upgrading from a 8700k to 5900X is illogical, it's a tangible upgrade. Especially if you want to run 2-3 NVMe drives too.

Lysrin

5950X is the most logical because its the fastest chip you'll be able to run on AM4 :)

The way I saw it back at the end of 2020 when I placed the order, was that this chip will have many purposes down the road for many years to come. I also saw it as, well I have this $1000 motherboard here, it needs a $1000+ CPU :rolleyes:

But regardless, I don't think upgrading from a 8700k to 5900X is illogical, it's a tangible upgrade. Especially if you want to run 2-3 NVMe drives too.
Ah there he is! The voice to start the mental churning all over again! :LOL: Thanks @JD ... thanks.

crazyea

The nvme gen4 upgrade has me wanting, but I may just chill until the fall. Something new will probably surface as it usually does.

belgolas

I upgraded from a 8700k to a 5900x and most games you will only see 1-2 frames increase at 3440x1440. Some games might see a bit more like CSGO but you are getting more frames than you need anyway.

Personally it is up to you if you want to upgrade. I am sure if I didn't have a 1080 Ti but a 3080 I would see more of a difference in FPS but alas I have never seen any 3080s in stock once. Months ago I saw a 3090 in stock and I wished I picked it up.

Latest posts

Twitter