What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8800GT: Not enough power?

llama_egg

So, apparently I have the worst luck EVER. See, yesterday my shiny new 8800GT came in the mail, so I was finally able to finish my rig and actually use something other then my crappy laptop. So, in all my happiness, I hooked up the waterblock and installed the card, well, apparently windows hates me, so I had to do a fresh install (bye bye harddrive). Well, after that I go ahead, install the newest drivers, restart my computer, and what happy warning comes to greet me?
I'mma happy warning said:
The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not recieving enough power
So here I am completely WTF'ing myself over why a 8800GT wasn't getting enough power from an Antec Quattro 850w. Well, I begin my search on the wonderful place called google, and begin to find out that ALOT of people are seeming to have problems with the quattro and 8800GT. So, as I begin to slice my wrists in anticipations of having to buy a new powersuply, I remember, I have an old Antec Neo 450w sitting around! I dig it up, plug ONLY it into the GPU, and jump start her. Well...the problem STILL happens.

Once again, I'm straight up WTF'ing myself over why 450w is not running a 8800GT, which brings me here, I'm out of ideas, and I'm about to throw this rig out of the window...if I could lift it that high. Is it a possible problem with the card itself or is it just Antec PSU's? I guess the next thing to do is completely uninstall the drivers and try to find older ones...Anywho, any help would be appreciated, time to bang my head off a wall.

Cptn Vortex

llama_egg

Nope, it's the eVGA 8800GT, only one connector needed!

Crap, this means I need a new PSU...but...but...my Quattro looks so pretty...and I can't really RMA it so...I hate life XD

Cptn Vortex

Uh, I have a 800W that works great. Ultra X-infinity 800W. It's really quite nice. It's been sitting in my pile of extra crap. I could ship it out to you tomorrow? I kinda dont need it, and well, it's just taking up space. If you're satisfied with it you could donate something to me if you want? I'm in the giving mood today, and I have had frustrations like you before.

llama_egg

Uh, I have a 800W that works great. Ultra X-infinity 800W. It's really quite nice. It's been sitting in my pile of extra crap. I could ship it out to you tomorrow? I kinda dont need it, and well, it's just taking up space. If you're satisfied with it you could donate something to me if you want? I'm in the giving mood today, and I have had frustrations like you before.
Holy crap man, that would be great! I mean, really! If you want anything for it, just ask, but man, that's...you good sir just made my day!

Twitter