What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8800GT - Strange Noise

Prof. Dr. Silver

Finger?

I also checked the fan on the 8800GT while it was in operation, using my finger to stop the fan to be sure it wasn't what is making the noise and it isn't.

THIS is what you get for using your finger!

1466474ddaa1171ec.jpg

See? Don't do that! LOL

Voodoo

Cause you were a dumbass and put it in the blades, you just apply small amount of pressure to the middle of the fan. :haha::rofl:

Yeah I press down on the center of the fan as well. I'd fear for my finger if I were to place it into the path of those spinning blades. :whistle:

EddieTO

My EVGA 8800GT does the same. Clicking, whining and so on in 3d-mode, and while my tv-tuner is on but only notice it when it`s very quiet. It seems we`re not alone, a lot of 8series cards have this issue. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the PCIE connector but definately not the fan. I also tried 3 power supplies (antec neohe430, antec neopower blue 650, corsair hx620) and 2 motherboards (asus m2n-e, msi k9n platinum).

Prof. Dr. Silver

Cause you were a dumbass and put it in the blades, you just apply small amount of pressure to the middle of the fan. :haha::rofl:

Dumbass for sure....but actually I was checking the multiple fan connectors on my board, to see if everything was connect properly, while my rig was running...:clap: By accident my pinkie finger ended up in the fan :shok: and BANG!!....for sure NOT a nice feeling!

Voodoo

My EVGA 8800GT does the same. Clicking, whining and so on in 3d-mode, and while my tv-tuner is on but only notice it when it`s very quiet. It seems we`re not alone, a lot of 8series cards have this issue. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the PCIE connector but definately not the fan. I also tried 3 power supplies (antec neohe430, antec neopower blue 650, corsair hx620) and 2 motherboards (asus m2n-e, msi k9n platinum).

That is exactly it. Hell, I even setup a second power supply to only feed the backend connector of the 8800GT and still got the clicking noise. Through experimentation I have definitely found it to be directly tied to the frame rate. o_O My concern is that I will RMA the card and get a second one with this same clicking noise or perhaps replaced with a whining noise. o_O Tonight I will check those induction units to see if any of them are loose or need some special sauce applied to them to reduce their vibration.

EddieTO

I`m hesitant to send my card back to the States (EVGA). How much would shipping cost? And will we be charged tax? I might just wait for the new cards to come out and pay a little extra to step up to those using the EVGA step-up program.

Just got off the phone with my buddy, she also gets clicking from her BFG 8800GTS. She never really noticed since her PC is in a cabinet with small air ducts about 10feet away.

reaverclan

oh snap!!

THIS is what you get for using your finger!

1466474ddaa1171ec.jpg

See? Don't do that! LOL
Dumbass for sure....but actually I was checking the multiple fan connectors on my board, to see if everything was connect properly, while my rig was running...:clap: By accident my pinkie finger ended up in the fan :shok: and BANG!!....for sure NOT a nice feeling!

my friend replaced one of those with a metal(wtf) blade from shop class he made only he LOST his pinky doing same thing!!!!!!!!!!! they sewed it back on but still why he use a metal blade lol. he called me and was like can u take me to the hospital!!!!!!!!

Latest posts