What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

8800gtx and Far Cry - Rendering Issues

Mr. Cipher

So I thought I would try out Far Cry with my new system to see how much nicer it would look. Much to my dismay the rendering is worse on my bfg 8800gtx OC than with my old 2x Sapphire x1600xt setup. :shok:

I get sections of ground texture that are black or very light; textures for some items do not appear (such as ladders) and depending on my viewing angle enemies will appear or vanish - though they are still "alive".

I tried applying some fixes that I read about similar problems (such as switching from d3d to opengl) but it did not make any difference, if anything the video seemed choppier.

I welcome any ideas and suggestions you may have!
(my computer is the new one in my signature)

enaberif

So I thought I would try out Far Cry with my new system to see how much nicer it would look. Much to my dismay the rendering is worse on my bfg 8800gtx OC than with my old 2x Sapphire x1600xt setup. :shok:

I get sections of ground texture that are black or very light; textures for some items do not appear (such as ladders) and depending on my viewing angle enemies will appear or vanish - though they are still "alive".

I tried applying some fixes that I read about similar problems (such as switching from d3d to opengl) but it did not make any difference, if anything the video seemed choppier.

I welcome any ideas and suggestions you may have!
(my computer is the new one in my signature)

Did you clean out the old ATI drivers before installing the new nvidia card?

Delavan

I encountered the same problem before with FAR CRY on a 7800 GS OC AGP.
I got rid of the issue by installing the latest patches for the game...1.4 patch me thinks...

On my 8800 GTS SC 640Mb I never had the issue, but I patched before I even tried to play.

werty316

I am not sure if this'll help but try a different set of drivers.

Last edited:

Thund3rball

Sounds like a driver issue but here's what I usually do when I get these kinds of game glitches (in order).

1. Google the issue, search devs site/forum for a solution, check Tweakguides.com
2. Get the latest patch for the game.
3. Defrag.
4. Do a complete driver uninstall > driver cleaner > reinstall.
5. Roll back to the last non-beta driver if #3 doesn't work (driver cleaner again).
6. Uninstall game > CCleaner > Re-install the game. Or if it's a Steam DL "Verify local files".

Mr. Cipher

Great suggestions everyone, very much appreciated. I'll give it a shot this weekend and write back with what I found out.

Thund3rball

I almost forgot, and this is a big one. Roll your GFX card back to stock settings if it is overclocked! Also you might want to make sure any unnecessary background processes are not running (I'm lookin at you AV) :)

DaleF

Also, the latest version of DirectX always helps. Assuming you're using XP, I think November 2007 is the latest build of 9.0c. If you're using Vista, that's probably the issue.

Latest posts