What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

880GTX leaked specs looking good

Regent Square

290X is not full fat”
Radeon R9 295X incoming?
8 Pack, a well known graphics cards overclocker, has made some very intriguing comments at OCUK forums.
He basically said that AMD has its new flagship ready (I assume that’s the R9 390X), and that 290X might not have the full Hawaii core as we used to believe. It could either mean that Hawaii core has more than 44 Compute Units, or something hidden inside we didn’t know about yet.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870 to Launch This Q4 - Page 2 - Overclockers UK Forums

Really...

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I see no one has stopped to take a close look at a Hawaii GPU core UV shot. Count the CU's. They're all there without any "hidden".

Regent Square

I am a bit confused.

Even if it is true and the card with more CUs exists, would it be a bit late to launch it?

sswilson

Staff member
I am a bit confused.

Even if it is true and the card with more CUs exists, would it be a bit late to launch it?
Not completely sure what core image he's referring to, but I'm assuming that he's suggesting the "extra" CUs have been part of Hawaii architecture all along but for whatever reasons (hardware limitations and/or marketing) weren't all enabled on the initial release.

It wouldn't be the first time a chip manufacturer has left some performance in the drawer waiting to be pulled out at a later date.

Regent Square

Not completely sure what core image he's referring to, but I'm assuming that he's suggesting the "extra" CUs have been part of Hawaii architecture all along but for whatever reasons (hardware limitations and/or marketing) weren't all enabled on the initial release.

It wouldn't be the first time a chip manufacturer has left some performance in the drawer waiting to be pulled out at a later date.
He refers to a diagram posted on OC uk thread provided in the link

Question is: Where will this gpu fit it when the new gen is approaching too. :whistle:

ZzzSleep

Full Hawaii with 3072 cores. Estimated performance 290X +10%. lol

Even more reasons to grab custom cooled 290...

eol
This late into the architecture, it probably is not worth it unless the prices go down quite a bit. It's been like 8-9 months since the r9 290 series launched.

It will be 5-10% faster, so it's essentially tied in raw performance with the 780Ti, maybe the the 780Ti winning at 2560x1600 and the 290XT winning at 4K and multimonitor (due to the bandwidth). That and it will run a bit more hot than the 290X already does.

Right now it's looking like a big Maxwell may lead to a pretty impressive gain in performance (like ~40%-50% with a big die). I wonder how big a gain HBM will give AMD next round.

You know what I think? I think actual journalism is completely MIA in the tech press of today.
Yeah I think that rumor is just someone making stuff up for the fun of it.

Towards release, I think we'll start to see more accurate rumors.

Twitter