What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

~9 year old Corsair AX1200 in my new Ryzen 3900x upgrade?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Hey folks;
Finally pulled the trigger on my first upgrade since late 2012. I'm moving from a 4770k system to a new Ryzen 3900x on the Asus B550-E Gaming mobo, with a new 1TB Corsair MP600 nvme drive replacing my sata Crucial. I'll be keeping my old Radeon R9 200x.

Can't wait to finally dig in and get it together. Been out of the upgrade game for so long, but of course, I'm already waaaaaay over my original budget.

Now I'm wondering about my old buddy, the Corsair AX1200 PSU. It has been running my rigs since at least 2011, if not a bit earlier. This thing folded for a few years 24/7, but for most of its life it has seen about 400w max.

PSU is not misbehaving from what I can tell, but I'm having 2nd thoughts on putting my new gear on it.

Thoughts?

Prickly007

I'm already waaaaaay over my original budget.

Then you're doing it right. :LOL: Those PSUs carried a seven year warranty, but a MTBF of 100,000 hours, which do you believe/trust more? You've been running yours for close to 80,000 hours (9*365*24). On the other hand, it also folded 24/7....

I'd replace it sooner rather than later.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah I agree. I just ordered a HX850...should be more than enough for me.

RIP old girl...I was just looking back at my old rigs from the old days and she served me well.

Izerous

Folding Team
Honestly you never loaded it so it never got a chance to even heat up. I'm still using one of the early ax1200 units still passes a basic PSU validator etc and it was loaded to 1kW and high on numerous occasions

Izerous

Folding Team
Side note I'm looking to eventually replace it for soemthing physically smaller so I can reconfigure the 011 and put it in the top slot. But it is a super low priority. The ax1200 doesn't fit in the top slot hits too many things.

clshades

Honestly you never loaded it so it never got a chance to even heat up. I'm still using one of the early ax1200 units still passes a basic PSU validator etc and it was loaded to 1kW and high on numerous occasions
Probably not worth risking with new hardware in my humble opinion. How mad would I be if I fried a 2k rig saving money on a PSU.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Probably not worth risking with new hardware in my humble opinion. How mad would I be if I fried a 2k rig saving money on a PSU.

Yeah those were my thoughts. I have it as a backup for now.

Took the old rig apart tonight. The plastic tabs that keep the top on tight, and some of the rubber grommets that help hide the cables started breaking because heat and time made them brittle. lol...still sticking with the case I think.

belgolas

It probably is safe but I have never run a PSU for that long. PSU tech has evolved somewhat and it doesn't cost that much to buy a new PSU but a failing PSU can cause a lot of money or at the least a lot of frustration. I think it is the right call that you bought a new PSU and it should be a bit more efficient than your old one.

Latest posts

Twitter