What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

939 with AGP???

sswilson

Staff member
interesting. Sadly i can find some Used 939Dual-SATA2 for fairly cheap, but who knows whats happened with them. the 939Dual-VSTA is still an option... i've read a bunch about it.. and so far it's just a fixed up version of the previous board. I'll have to look for a +3700. any details on why it's better?

Because it's based on the same core as their FX chips..... :)

sswilson

Staff member
Let me do some searching for you this weekend.... I ran the crap out of a 3700+ for quite some time, and I'd hate to see one crippled by a less-than-stellar overclocking board. :)

For S939 OC boards, you really want a Nvidia chipset board. I'm thinking DFI or MSI if one can be found that does AGP.

Any preference on purchase location? (Newegg isn't going to do it for you as they won't ship to Canada........).

b1lk1

Best possible S939 AGp board is the MSI K8N NEO2. OC'd like a monster. Avoid the DFI NF3 board like the plague. It was absolutely dreadful. Anything with the NF3 chipset should do well EXCEPT the DFI version.

JD

Staff member
Just a thought...

Why not get a X2 3800+? TigerDirect has those as OEM for about $60 I think. Might as well get a dual-core at this point in time.

Amon

And you'd be taking a very steep drop in clock frequency in terms of the K8 architecture. It can be seen as a step backwards, for what it's worth.

chibi_man

Thanks for helping me do some searching, I appreciate it.

I have a buddy in the states. Hes attending a university in Tennessee. Since I go down there almost regularly it's not an issue to order from the states. So thats one really good thing.

I really want to keep my computer single core. I just find that a single core processor can perform better. It's all my own preference.

ASRock still has my favor... just can't decide which model I prefer. I will have to do some more research then to.

chibi_man

Well, done some more research and I still like the 939Dual-VSTA board.
I found one problem with this board. my new case, i built it for a board sized 12" x 7.6" and the ASRock board is 12" x 9.6". So it looks like I have to modify my case if i build this. No big deal, it's worth the change.
If you have any other Board ideas please take into consideration:
DDR Dual Channel
AGP 8X
and try to keep it 12" x 7.6
and 939 is obvious.

Latest posts