What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

9900K 5 Ghz 1.28v 1080Ti SLi Power Consumption Query

rjbarker

This is for the PSU guru's and power consumption experts.....

With an AX 1200i (new) I cant believe Im even making this query.....but......Ive been trying to figure out if perhaps my BSOD's at 5.1 Ghz to 5.2 Ghz could possibly be power related.....:shok:

My personal feeling is it isnt....not with my AX 1200i ......I was running an older AX 1200 (5-6 yrs old) on my old 3930K @ 4.9 Ghz (vCore under load was 1.385v)...along with 2 1080Ti's OC 2050 Boost (+ 85 Core / +255 Memory) ......with no issues ever....

I understand the 9900K dfraws a lot more power under load (particularly OC'd) vs the Sandybridge.

With that being said I entertained the idea (briefly) of getting the AX 1500i but though ...no way thats necessary....

So...reading some reviews..
: 9900K OC to 5.1 Ghz 1.35 vCore under load can draw up to 400W

: 1080Ti OC can draw up to 300W each

Does this seem correct...up to 1KW under full load CPU and 2 x 1080Ti's .....:whistle:

Perhaps my AX 1200i is working pretty hard and cant handle anything above n beyond 5.1 Ghz at say 1.35v under load.......

I also have a 200W Fan Controller - 50w per channel with 15 Fans running thru the channels (obviously not drawing all that).......

I honestly looked at the 1600i and thought that would be way to much for this set-up and 1200w would be adequate....

......thoughts (barring me actually measuring the draw)....under load.....:ph34r:

JD

Staff member
Don't the "i" model PSU's have a USB connection that lets you see actual consumption? I'd say hook that up and determine if anything is really using that much or not. I doubt you're pulling that much power.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
BSOD's aren't usually the result of bad power...but they are a sign of OC instability on the CPU or memory.

relax your OC to 5.0ghz and see what happens.

also, what have you done to stress test your OC to ensure it's stable?

rjbarker

Don't the "i" model PSU's have a USB connection that lets you see actual consumption? I'd say hook that up and determine if anything is really using that much or not. I doubt you're pulling that much power.

Yeah im pretty confident that 1.2 kW is more than adequate....although I do believe the 9900K at say 5 Ghz draws a lot more than my old 3930K at 4.9 Ghz...
Ive never owned the "i" series...I'll have to look into that ....a way to determine what components are drawing.....

EDIT: Yes so I'll have to look and see if I have the USB Corsair Link cable in the bag ...download the software...the link cable plugs in to one of the Mobo's USB plugs....I'll be curious to see if I can have that open and recording power draw while performing bechmarks..stress tests etc...

Mr Friendly .....Im not running P95 or the new Linpack Extreme just yet........besides I really doubt whether I'll take my OC testing to that level....(I used to do that)....at this point Realbench .and XTU (looping) ...Cinebench and then hours of gaming satisfies me if no Hard Locks...BSOD or CTD .....unfortunately im not at home right now for more testing.....I know that a large number (percentage) of 9900K's simply are not stable at 5.1 Ghz....I take a lot of what I read on Forums with boasts of stability at 5.1 Ghz - 5.2 Ghz with a huge grain of salt :whistle:
EDIT: No issues with 5 Ghz ....its 5.1 Ghz I get a BSOD WHEA error about 3/4 ways thru an XTU Bench ...Im not that familiar with OC'ing on ROG Boards using "Adaptive Voltage Control".....I may try playing around with Offset Mode as thats what I felt gave me more control with vCore...to be quite honest Im, not sure yet (100%) what "Adaptive Mode is doing....:blarg:

If I set Adaptive Mode to say 1.34v...boot to desktop I get "overshoot" and Im idling at 1.352v or something like that...then of course under load vDroop takes me down to 1.285v with LLC at 6 (2nd from Max on ROG Board).....
Woth Offset Mode on my old X79 393oK...I would simply set to + .04v (or sometghing like that) and my Desktop would reflect vDrop ....then vDroop under load........

Im 99% sure the BSOD's are simply due to an unstable OC............but it kind of got me thinking when I saw 300W for each 1080Ti and 400W for a 9900K @ 5.1 Ghz and 1.35 vCore .....zoiks ....:shok: .....

Last edited:
D

Dark Knight

Nothing to do with the power supply. I doubt that you are triggering OCP or even OPP. You most likely have an unstable overclock.

rjbarker

Nothing to do with the power supply. I doubt that you are triggering OCP or even OPP. You most likely have an unstable overclock.

Yes thats what I kind of figure as well .......!! Guy on OC'er Forum said he has his 9900K at 5.1Ghz with 1.32v and a single 1080Ti OC to similar values as mine and he peak powered at 625W - 650W running both CB and Heaven simultaneously......add another 275W for another 1080Ti and youd be around 900W Max I figure....
....also I had a "Bob Zone" moment and realized when Im testing my 9900K running benchmarks and stability tests....(9900K running full load 16 Threads).....Im not loading my GPU's simultaneously.......so no way Im pushing that load.....

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
5.2 is a far stretch on those CPUs. Like 1% success or something. Hell. Siliconevalley doesn't even have any for sale, and wants 1k USD for a 5.1

rjbarker

5.2 is a far stretch on those CPUs. Like 1% success or something. Hell. Siliconevalley doesn't even have any for sale, and wants 1k USD for a 5.1

Do you know what the numbers are for 5.1 ? Its the same old same old Sagath.....I think a lot of garbage flying around on the Forums regarding reaching stable OC's at 5.1 Ghz......think the best I saw was someone claiming 5.1 Ghz at 1.25v and (this is the good part) ......55c under full load (this is even better) with an H80 AIO......

check this out..
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake-r

Yeah I'll likely not push much with 5.1 ....4.9 - 5 Ghz is fine....but I still havent ran 5 Ghz thru any real stress testing yet....I may not...if it can loop Realbench ...CB and XTU...then marathon game with no issues (especially at 1.28v)....Im done.....but pretty sure if I play P95 Small FTT its going to wreak havoc on my OCD = nights of no sleep and learning BSOD error codes :doh:

I may even play around with individual Core Clocking....maybe 2 @ 5.1 ....2 @ 5 and 4 @ 4.9...we'll see.....:thumb:

Last edited:

Gman109

Both of my 9900k are running 5.0 and I've stressed the crap out of them. Haven't tried 5.1 or 5.2 yet, after having a MB die 48 hours in on the first build I didn't feel like screwing around until I knew both systems were super stable. This week maybe. I too had BSOD but it was my Asus z390 MB that crapped out, not an O/C related issue (yet).

Running VR Link with 2 2080ti Zotac in one system and a single EVGA 2080ti in the other. Haven't checked on the power consumption, I will tonight and post later, running eVGA 1300 PSUs in both boxes.

D

Dark Knight

Both of my 9900k are running 5.0 and I've stressed the crap out of them. Haven't tried 5.1 or 5.2 yet, after having a MB die 48 hours in on the first build I didn't feel like screwing around until I knew both systems were super stable. This week maybe. I too had BSOD but it was my Asus z390 MB that crapped out, not an O/C related issue (yet).

Running VR Link with 2 2080ti Zotac in one system and a single EVGA 2080ti in the other. Haven't checked on the power consumption, I will tonight and post later, running eVGA 1300 PSUs in both boxes.

EVGA 1300 G2?

Latest posts