What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery 9900k Lian Li Pc-O11 Dynamic Build

rjbarker

In some cases enabling XMP simply requires a little extra voltage bump and up VCCIO and system Agent slightly.....

You should be able to set XMP in BIOS...while there bump up your DIMM Voltage ...VCCIO and SA slightly,,,re-boot and test everything at stock clocks.....5.1 Ghz at 1.3v is a stretch...no wonder you crashed.......if your going to jump right up to 5.1 Ghz try at least 1.375v ....Adaptive is ok....my 9900K requires vcore 1.365v Adaptive for stable 5.1 Ghz (no AVX instructions).....throw some stress tests with AVX instructions into the mix and all bets are off ;).........in the case of AVX Instructions set an offset in BIOS....
Although everythng runs great at 5.1 Ghz....Im settling with 5 Ghz all cores...vcore 1.285v...good temps.

Not sure about those Gigabyte Boards......read some grumblings about em...mostly with the UEFI / BIOS......

danmitch1

I finally had the time to test things out. So I actually did this in reverse as I didnt have time to watch memtest run for 5 hours.

Test the memory.

So as you see, the ram passed memtest with the XMP profile enabled.( remember though, this was after the following tests)

In some cases enabling XMP simply requires a little extra voltage bump and up VCCIO and system Agent slightly.....

You should be able to set XMP in BIOS...while there bump up your DIMM Voltage ...VCCIO and SA slightly,,,re-boot and test everything at stock clocks.....5.1 Ghz at 1.3v is a stretch...no wonder you crashed.......if your going to jump right up to 5.1 Ghz try at least 1.375v ....Adaptive is ok....my 9900K requires vcore 1.365v Adaptive for stable 5.1 Ghz (no AVX instructions).....throw some stress tests with AVX instructions into the mix and all bets are off ;).........in the case of AVX Instructions set an offset in BIOS....
Although everythng runs great at 5.1 Ghz....Im settling with 5 Ghz all cores...vcore 1.285v...good temps.

Not sure about those Gigabyte Boards......read some grumblings about em...mostly with the UEFI / BIOS......

Here is the weird part. When I bumped up the VCCIO AND system agent voltages for the first time (and only by .002 volts each) and rebooted, The bios opened up with an error saying to set last known working settings or enter the bios. So at that point I googled what voltages others have been using and started at 1.1 VCCIO and 1.2 SA
This booted and passed a large ffts 30 min test. It also generated on one thread 80c So I started to back off little by little testing each time UNTIL.....

I ended up at STOCK VOLTAGE...

For some odd reason, stock is now booting into windows. Passed a 15 min large ffts and also passed a 15 min blend without AVX. I guess the auto setting wasnt automatically giving enough voltage but that still doesnt explain why it didnt like my first attempt.

I did however set the dram voltage from auto to its stock value but only after a few of my tests.

Very odd, but now its working.

One thing though, if you look at that screenshot, I ran a blend test mid way but with AVX and it nearly hit 100c at 96c.. that is nuts!

Last edited:

crazyea

My VCCIO is 1.32 and my VCCSA is 1.2 at stock clocks and XMP enabled. I figured its a bit high, but I dont really feel like taking the time to drop it and test on the way down. lol

danmitch1

That makes me wonder if it can go any lower lol. What about the 96c I got , is that normal? 4c off the max.. I mean I didnt test it afterwards with stock voltages and avx so im not sure if it was just because of the higher voltages but jeez.. I didnt even overclock it.

crazyea

Yes. AVX is known to cause cpu's to skyrocket in temp.

If you are running all cores at 4700 under load, then 85-90's is normal for these cpu's.

Is it random spikes or are all cores steady in the upper 90's?

danmitch1

Random spikes, and only on a few threads. I never payed attention to the AVX options, I always ran p95 with them enabled. I guess I had awesome thermals on my last build then lol.

Coach

I skimmed your thread here, that is a very nice build!

Just curious, what did you do with my old 3770k, mobo and that Gskill 2400mhz DDR3 ram?

danmitch1

Thanks! Ive got the 3770k kit up for sale on kijiji. I will be posting it up here soon too.

rjbarker

Yeah when enabling AVX in P95 ...crazy high temps ...even with my Custom Loop I see low to mid 90's.......for 5 - 5.1 Ghz better off to test P95 disabling AVX Instructions....on a side note Asus RealBench uses AVX Instructions so definitely higher temps using that bench / stress.....
....its odd as I thought I finally found the sweet spot with 5.1 Ghz....vcore 1.365v ....XMP enables w Dominators running at rated 3200 Mhz....pass all stress tests...set BIOS AVX Offset to -200Mhz (for testing with AVX Instructions).....set Uncore (Core Cache Ratio 4.8 Ghz)....all good running stress tests...playing hours of games....BUT get weird anomalies (nothing major) in Windows......strange.....I know 5.1 Ghz is a stretch with these 9900K's though....anyhow...pretty happy with this CPU n Board.....temps gaming (Tomb Raider Shadow n Wildlands) never see temps exceeding 60c CPU.....my 1080Ti's are maxed (stable) boosting to 2050 Ghz.....

....I can run some Bench Tests at 5.2 Ghz.....but only a few Bench Tests....no testing stability...5.2 requires 1.415v ......to get thru Cinebench....
....5.3 Ghz cant do it......

danmitch1

Allright! Good to know my temps are normal. Any opinions about why the board didnt like a boost in voltage but then settled for stock?

im going to attempt to oc later, ill keep your results as a ruff guide. Thanks.

Latest posts

Twitter