What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gallery 9900k Lian Li Pc-O11 Dynamic Build

rjbarker

Allright! Good to know my temps are normal. Any opinions about why the board didnt like a boost in voltage but then settled for stock?

im going to attempt to oc later, ill keep your results as a ruff guide. Thanks.

Not sure ......I do know that it took a few days of tweaking and numerous BSOD's (certainly more than normal) to get a handle on applying vcore w Adaptive Mode....basically looking at idle vcore...loaded vcore and applying correct Loadline Calibration.....was frustrating at first...even thought about getting another 9900K......but seem to have figured it out....
...although lastnight my Asus Aura n Livedash wont work (cant open the Apps)....tried uninstalling re-installing etc....give up..buggy Asus Software..

danmitch1

Alrighty, i had some time (rare these days) to attempt a 5ghz oc on this beast.

Im not sure I have the cooling gear to harness this monster.

Ive never been a pro at ocing and im not a newb but I am a newb at coffee lake. Sooo, i downloaded this guide from gigabyte.

I started at 1.32 vcore with llc set on auto. Quickly i realized that I needed llc set, so that needed to be set to turbo.
I also needed to work my vcore up to 1.35 and on my last test after 3 or 4 minutes I was experiencing thermal throttling on a few threads. After another minute, BSOD. Perhaps the ram needs tweeking (set on xmp with voltages dialed in at stock), i didnt have the time to tinker. Another thing is that the uncore was set to 4.7, im really unfamiliar with uncore and was just following the guide.

This alone tells me I just dont have the cooling capabilities. I mean If I was hitting 96c at stock, im pretty sure my cooler has reached its limits.

I was however using the small ffts test this time and not blend, but also with no avx. My tmax was set to 100c in the bios but the guide says you can set it to 110, im not sure i really want to do that.

Maybe I just need to settle at the SLOW 4.7ghz with5ghz boost stock settings for now ...lol:haha:

Last edited:

Lysrin

The reality is though, as fun a squeezing every last ounce of performance can be, really those 9900Ks are crazy fast at stock. Outside the benchmarks, you don't need more than stock I wouldn't think? I get the oc'ing for hobby/fun, but stock is impressive on its own right?

danmitch1

yeah its a beast all together and doesnt really need that extra 300mhz, maybe im stuck in the 486 days where it did mean something lol...
But ,on the other hand, when a 3ds max cloth simulation is just struggling to simulate you can help but wonder what that 300mhz would do to help it along.

Another though:

It might be a little late to complain but, it seems to me intel is marketing this cpu as a over clockable chip when it seems they already squeezed all the juice out of it. Selling pre squeezed oranges ffs!
For example, my last build a 3770k stock 3.4 ghz was able to run at 4.6. 1.2 ghz worth of un squeezed juice! This one has what seems to be max 500mhz if you can afford the cooling.

I just ran another small ffts test at stock , 45 min, max temp on a couple of threads was 75c. .15 volts seems to generate a lot of heat,25c more ...

Last edited:

Coach

I am slumming it with a 8700k at 5Ghz. ;) The "5" does feel magical and I feel your pain :haha:

Sorry buddy I am just messing with you! I would feel just as you do now if I was in your situation... I care a little too much myself about that little extra.

I know what you mean too about no OC headroom compared to generations past. IMO Intel had that extra clock speed in the bag from the beginning and then slowly metered it out with every new generation, using it as sign of progress on their part. Now all that headroom they once had is used up! Back in the day I had both 2500k and 2600k that would nicely do 5Ghz+ on air. Now THAT was an impressive OC compared to stock.

Cheers, on the beast of a computer you have there!

danmitch1

I am slumming it with a 8700k at 5Ghz. ;) The "5" does feel magical and I feel your pain :haha:

Sorry buddy I am just messing with you! I would feel just as you do now if I was in your situation... I care a little too much myself about that little extra.

I know what you mean too about no OC headroom compared to generations past. IMO Intel had that extra clock speed in the bag from the beginning and then slowly metered it out with every new generation, using it as sign of progress on their part. Now all that headroom they once had is used up! Back in the day I had both 2500k and 2600k that would nicely do 5Ghz+ on air. Now THAT was an impressive OC compared to stock.

Cheers, on the beast of a computer you have there!

Exactly! that is most likely what they are doing. which is really a bunch of crap.

One part of me is saying, you should have just got a 9600 or even the 8700 and then the other part is like just STFU and enjoy it lol!

Latest posts