What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

9900k pairing suggestions (GPU)

MouseX

Hello forum members,

I am looking for opinions and advices what GPU should i opt to upgrade from my old gtx 1660. I have seen the new 4000 series gpus, but im afraid my cpu will be a really heavy bottleneck. PSU is 650W Platinum Corsair series.

Considering 3070 / 3070 ti or 3080, but im open for suggestions like mentioned before. Havent looked at amd gpus yet as i used Nvidia gpu's all my life.

Gaming on 240 hz , 1080p monitor.

Lysrin

Running at 1080p, any of those GPUs would get you very high FPS. If you are really trying to stay close to the 240 Hz the 3080 would be most likely to get you there.

I think the 4000 series would be overkill unless you have money to burn or want specific NVIDIA features offered by the 4000 series.

AMD should be considered too, especially if you are looking to spend a little less. I just recently purchased a used 6800 XT, which has equivalent raw performance to a 3080 in most games, and I am very pleased with the 4K performance I am getting. The 6800 XT suffers at bit with ray tracing turned on, but that wasn't a concern for me, so you'd have to decide what's it important to you.

AMD's software is actually very well designed now in my experience so far so that isn't a reason to rule them out anymore either.

If you get into a 3080 or any of the higher cards, you are likely going to want to upgrade your power supply too. I believe at least a 750W is recommended for a 3080 or a 6800 XT so factor that into your budget.

Last edited:

clshades

There are some webpages out there that will give you a general idea of your max frame rate based on your hardware. A 240hz monitor is great and all, but beyond 144 fps / 144hz it's simply not worth it to be honest.

I love how these monitors are exceeding what a PC is capable. In my mind it's just a gimmic because most AAA games are never going to run fps to match the really high frequencies. You're not just cpu bound you are entirely hardware bound sacrificing quality for higher fps.

A 2xxx or 3xxx cpu would be enough.

Bond007

Any of the cards you listed should be fine for your uses at 1080p, and your CPU will be fine as well. Any reason to not consider AMD cards?

Lysrin

Not particularly any reason, I just never tried them.
Well you can certainly consider them a viable option these days. I hadn't run one since back in the ATI days, but am very pleased with my 6800 XT. No issues in any of the games I've tested.

Bond007

Well you can certainly consider them a viable option these days. I hadn't run one since back in the ATI days, but am very pleased with my 6800 XT. No issues in any of the games I've tested.
Agree. Not saying you have to go that route, but for a 1080p GPU you are likely to get better fps/$ with AMD right now…pretty much get performance of the next tier higher nvidia gpu at a given price point.

Latest posts