What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

990FX Upgrade - XFire or SLi?

_dangtx_

Banned
put it thisway.

those temps have not been reported before,but that does not mean they were not present!

so,liek with a modern car,when you get an alert, it's not the end of the worlde.

now hook up two 480's and watch those temps go to 100 lol

sswilson

Staff member
I've ended up dropping my OC completely back on the 2 560's for the summer... no AC here and the temps were getting a bit high for my liking. (not to mention questionable stability for folding..... ;) )

_dangtx_

Banned
werent you better with one 580 vs 2 560's?
they probably oufold it but in gaming...hmm....

sswilson

Staff member
werent you better with one 580 vs 2 560's?
they probably oufold it but in gaming...hmm....

I've always been a "single biggest card you can afford" kinda guy when it comes to gaming, but I'm primarily a folder so 27K ppd of 2 560 ti's trumps the 18K ppd of a single 580.

Zygote

I say go with your gut. 2x 560 ti. Just wondering, what would the difference in power consumption be?

Caldezar

I say go with your gut. 2x 560 ti. Just wondering, what would the difference in power consumption be?

Hmmm... either you have no idea what this thread is currently about, or I have no idea what this response is supposed to mean?

So there's definitely something wrong. I tried a few more scenarios and I'm getting the following:

Crysis Pre-Release Demo Benchmark utility
1920x1200 - 4xAA - Very High Settings - 3 loops

Single GPU - Average: 28fps
SLI - Average: 37fps

Crysis Demo x64 - 5 minutes of gameplay
1920x1200 - 4xAA - Very High Settings

Single GPU - Average: 32fps
SLI - Average: 44fps

Just Cause 2 Concrete Jungle Benchmark
1920x1080 - 4xAA - High settings - 16xAA

Single GPU - Average 41fps
SLI - Average: 35fps

Unfortunately the Stone Giant didn't pan out as I didn't get a benchmark, I got the free floating demo. So I have no credible way of recording the fps consistently between two tests.

Although Crysis did show an improvement with SLI enabled, it is clearly nowhere near what one would expect from these cards. And again, with the Just Cause 2 benchmark, I see a drop in performance with SLI enabled. Perhaps I need to get on the nVidia forums and post?

Caldezar

I found an nVidia forum thread started by someone running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 that's having the same issue. Clearly the issue is with more than just our board. I've posted there in detail and we'll see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Alas this is the one downfall to being right on the bleeding edge.
There may very well be issues with such an early release with Beta Drivers and new chipsets.

So, hopefully they can iron this out fast for you.

Keep us posted, I am sure many of us would like to know what happens as it happens.

ST