What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

a low power gaming GPU for $100-$200?

Website
www.psycho-designs.com
Hello,

I'm currently researching GPUs looking to upgrade quite a few machines to be able to run games like UT3...
The main issue is the PSU which is only 280W [or 275W]..
the GPU requirments:
- PCIe x16
- Vertex Shader 3.0
- Pixel Shader 3.0

let me know if you guys have any suggestions
Thanks!

Silvgearx

It would help if you post full system specs. But for a 280W psu its gonna be tough. Most GPU require a minimum 300W psu (like the ati x16xx series, ati 9800 pro and HD2600pro).

Shadowmeph

Just buy a new power supply. You can buy a decent 500w one for like 50$.
I agree you can find PSU's out there that are cheap . when I still had my Dell 8300 I upgraded my 64mb nvid AGP card to a X800 ati AGP and that had to have a min 300watt psu

Soultribunal

Staff member
If you can't for whatever reason upgrade the PSU,

HIS Radeon 2600 HD/XT versions. I am not sure of the other specs you are asking about ( I know 'of' some video card specs, but I won't pretend to know it all).

That card can be found for $80, and it doesn't require a seperate PSU plug to run it.

Regards,
ST

Eagle Eye

Ha!! so what is it your upgrading DELL, HP, Acer, Gateway?

I know from experience that even longterm gaming under normal circumstrances will burn out those PSUs, adding a more powerful videocard will likely mean you'll be back asking for PSU replacements suggestions. Strongly suggest you take the advice the others and somehow work in a new psu as part of the budget.

EE

Website
www.psycho-designs.com
It would help if you post full system specs. But for a 280W psu its gonna be tough. Most GPU require a minimum 300W psu (like the ati x16xx series, ati 9800 pro and HD2600pro).
I was afraid that was the case... the machines are dell Optiplex 740 OptiPlex 740 Desktop Product Details
They are one of the 2 thin models .. either the "Desktop" version or the "Small form factor" version which has a weaker PSU...

9800gt -> $120 AR
Seasonic 400w -> $50
Just buy a new power supply. You can buy a decent 500w one for like 50$.
usually, That's what I'd do... but I'll be upgrading 10 machines.. and finding a good cheap PSUs that fit the unusual cases and installing them might not be an option

If you can't for whatever reason upgrade the PSU,

HIS Radeon 2600 HD/XT versions. I am not sure of the other specs you are asking about ( I know 'of' some video card specs, but I won't pretend to know it all).

That card can be found for $80, and it doesn't require a seperate PSU plug to run it.

Regards,
ST
Thanks, I'll look into them.

Ha!! so what is it your upgrading DELL, HP, Acer, Gateway?

I know from experience that even longterm gaming under normal circumstrances will burn out those PSUs, adding a more powerful videocard will likely mean you'll be back asking for PSU replacements suggestions. Strongly suggest you take the advice the others and somehow work in a new psu as part of the budget.

EE
the machines [10 of them] are dell Optiplex 740 OptiPlex 740 Desktop Product Details
They are not for long term gaming.. I just need them to run the unreal engine decently few hours a week

but I totally agree with your advice.. I did invest into a good PSU for me personal self built gaming machines.. and it pays off very well..

The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 - Graphic Hardware - Forums - www.atomicmpc.com.au
Coding Horror: Video Card Power Consumption

If you know the TPD of the rest of your hardware, and it doesn't draw more than say 200W total then I think you're safe. Any more than that and you'll probably stress your PSU too much
It makes sens but I wont be able to do the calculations... Thanks for the links though

Latest posts

Twitter