What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

a question about batteries...

Mr. Friendly

I'm looking at rechargeable battery options from Ikea where they have 2450MaH AA's. not bad...but it makes me curious why they would still be making AA batteries that are 500 and 900 MaH's. doesn't make sense...unless it's old stock when batteries the size of 2450MaH were only dreamt of. :ph34r:

Mr. Friendly

These days the lower mah types are pretty much all NiCd and the higher capacity are NiMH. They each have strengths and weaknesses and the one you choose depends on the application.

batteries are all about keeping a device powered as long as possible. can you sahre some examples where anything smaller than a 2800MaH (highest capacity AA battery I've found to date by EBL) would be warranted?

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
The right battery for the job is not always the one that powers the device for the longest time. You were recently asking about battery powered area lights. If said lights are used infrequently, you might be better off using NiCd as they have half the self discharge rate of NiMH. NiCd has a very flat discharge curve in use and they don't mind being run flat. The NiCd will also handle much higher charge and discharge rates without damage. The most common use for lower capacity NiCd today is solar powered garden lights.

NiMH certainly has advantages when used properly, not the least being it's much more environmentally friendly chemistry.

It pays to do your homework when choosing batteries for a task.