What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

A replacement (new GPU) for $500 or under?

dlf

• What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.
    • Games (in no real specific order):
      • DOOM (2016)/eternal /newer wolfensteins
      • Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind (all heavily modded) /other
      • Baldur's Gate 3
      • The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077
      • Batman: Arkham (Asylum/City/Origins/Knight)
      • System Shock 1 (Remake)/SystemShock 3
      • Grim Dawn / Titan quest
      • Divinity Original sins (series)
      • Emulation/older games (last decade/decades before)
      • Browse the web as well. I may try to fold proteins a little ([email protected])
  • What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?
    • $500 should be enough
  • When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.
    • 6+ months from now I'd imagine, would probably need to see what GPU's are suggested and how long the one on my 3770k lasts
  • Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?
    • US - Texas. Yes. Although I may also order from Amazon.
  • If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.
    • Reusing:
      • Motherboard
      • CPU
      • RAM
      • Keyboard
      • Mouse
      • Monitors
      • Tower (/case)
      • Hardrives/ssd's.
      • Really only replacing the GPU.
  • Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?
    • NO. Texas is one of the hottest states in the US, I do not need the extra heat.
  • Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)
    • Can't think of anything
  • Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?
    • See down below for current specs of the current PC
  • Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?
    • No, using Linux Mint
  • Misc:
    • https://steamcommunity.com/id/DlfC/games
    • https://www.gog.com/u/dbzlotrfan/ga...e&order=desc&comparedUserId=46988614724296672
    • [You can see what steam/GOG games I have/would want to play]
    • * Monitor(s) are:
      • BenQ EL2870U 28 inch 4K HDR Gaming Monitor
      • ASUS PB278Q 27 inch
    • Also, I am not a fanboy of any company. I will consider AMD or Nvidia, EVGA, gigabyte, powercolor, sapphire, etc.
    • I would at the very least like a playable, enjoyable experience playing the games I've listed above at a good resolution, settings, and framerate.
    • Oh, and when I bought most of these components (I've had to replace a few hard drives) is April of 2013.
    • Random Question, does this motherboard let be put in an (NVME) SSD? If possible I may want to put in one of those small SSDs in (OS)

Current specs
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (x4, 32 GB total)
Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $199.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card {replacing this}
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you fellow Canadians . . . .

Last edited:

moocow

Are you planning on upgrading the rest of the PC later? I mean sticking a 2060S or 2070 in it seem to be bottlenecked by the CPU. If you can stretch your budget by another $150 USD, you could move up to a Ryzen 3600 or you can go budget and get a Ryzen 1600 AF (basically a tad slower 2600 and it's $85 USD on Amazon).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $607.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 20:28 EST-0500

dlf

I was going to wait for to build/replace the other components later. A: What components came out this year (AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ . . . .) and see what that affected with currently out components and then B: I was going to wait for the new consoles (PS5/XSX) to come out.

moocow

Hmm I think we'll see new consoles and new processors around Q3 this year. Seems like the usual release dates for these things. Also expect new GPU to come out from both Nvidia and AMD as well but again, no idea when about this year. Ask yourself if you prefer console gaming or PC gaming. I mean consoles these days are basically a PC that you can't upgrade and use a specialized OS. There may be cases where saving up for PS5 or XSX make more sense.

JD

Staff member
So is this thread for a $500 GPU or are you looking for a full build?

If Linux is the only OS you run, I believe NVIDIA is the better choice for driver support. However since you're running AMD currently, you'd know better than I would.

The "best" GPU you'll get around $500 USD is the RTX 2070 Super. If you'd prefer to remain with AMD, you can get the RX 5700 XT for around $400 USD. Either way though, your 3770k is going to hold these cards back a bit, so it would be best to upgrade your whole PC shortly after.

dlf

If people are going to keep suggesting I replace the CPU/RAM/Motherboard as well then I guess I should replace them.

Total budget: $900 (if the GPU is $500 alone)

- USB 3 (+) support
- NVME support (I'd like to try to use an NVME SSD for the OS)
- Certainly a lot of SATA ports for Hard drives (or SSD)
- Probably a minimum of 32 GB. I'm fine (for the moment) starting with like 16 and expanding over time. In the little bit of time I've started using the integrated GPU I've run very close to the 32GB (with a VM of windows open, only allocate 8GB too it)
- I'd like a backup PCIE slot, so if the next GPU decides to do the same thing we can take it out of the slot we put it in and test in a different.
- I do use bluetooth speakers (there should be a bluetooth card in the current motherboard and wi-fi

Last edited:

moocow

How many VM do you run at the same time and how much resources you want to dedicate to each of them (cores and RAM)? At around $900, I got the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $917.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-16 23:51 EST-0500

Latest posts

Twitter