What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

A slightly late post..

Valkyrie

Holy crap, you guys are old enough to see a live CF-5 operation? The only one I seen was the CF-18 and was temp deaf at the Boundary Bay airshow when it did a ramp start like 10M away from the crowd.

EDIT: now I wonder do we have members in the community that are old enough to see the old A4 in RCAF colors in action.

The A-4 Skyhawk was not in service in Canada. Please elaborate.

sswilson

Staff member
Voodoos, CF 104s, and trackers are the older aircraft that were around (and on their way out) when I first signed up, however I did spend the last 6 years working on an aircraft that was initially brought into service the year I was born.... (1963).

There were still a few Arguses around as well, but the Aurora was my first aircraft and I don't believe we had any Arguses in active service when I got to Comox.

sswilson

Staff member
I was around for the first major nose - tail "refresh" when they replaced the Kapton wiring. That was an interesting project....

Instead of replacing individual wiring harnesses front to back, they decided to replace all harnesses from one bulkhead to another. Sounded like a good plan to start, but once we started replacing partial harnesses we discovered that the original manufacturing process was a little lax in bulkhead to bulkhead pinouts.... pin A from the rear ended up at pin A at the front, but it didn't always reflect that mid harness.

Lots of troubleshooting and power-off signal tracing.

Valkyrie

I was around for the first major nose - tail "refresh" when they replaced the Kapton wiring. That was an interesting project....

Instead of replacing individual wiring harnesses front to back, they decided to replace all harnesses from one bulkhead to another. Sounded like a good plan to start, but once we started replacing partial harnesses we discovered that the original manufacturing process was a little lax in bulkhead to bulkhead pinouts.... pin A from the rear ended up at pin A at the front, but it didn't always reflect that mid harness.

Lots of troubleshooting and power-off signal tracing.
Great fun ringing out wiring. The old Voodoo thunderclap when they hit burners. It's unforgetable.

sswilson

Staff member
Great fun ringing out wiring. The old Voodoo thunderclap when they hit burners. It's unforgetable.

Heh.... try it from a 6X6 windowed control shack 75' from where they light them up.... :)

But yeah, dual all-or-nothing AB is a thing to behold (or is it behear...? :) ).

I was in the armament section when they disbanded, and one of the boys "liberated" a mounted display Air2A Genie that was left sitting unattended in the hanger hallway waiting for shipment.

Took them a month or so to discover that it didn't make it to Cool Pool, and I imagine losing a display Nuke probably set off a few alarm bells.... :)

Valkyrie

Heh.... try it from a 6X6 windowed control shack 75' from where they light them up.... :)

But yeah, dual all-or-nothing AB is a thing to behold (or is it behear...? :) ).

I was in the armament section when they disbanded, and one of the boys "liberated" a mounted display Air2A Genie that was left sitting unattended in the hanger hallway waiting for shipment.

Took them a month or so to discover that it didn't make it to Cool Pool, and I imagine losing a display Nuke probably set off a few alarm bells.... :)

The good old Cold War days. We might now have a warmer war.

Edit: Hope Not....

Edit Edit: We were talking about airplanes......

Last edited:

Latest posts