What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

A slightly late post..

sswilson

Staff member
There's probably more than enough twisted airframes out there that'll never be returned to service.

And yeah... the venerable widow maker......

The (Black Humour) joke was: Wanna own a CF-104???..... buy any acre of land in Germany.

Babrbarossa

I had intention to link this up some time ago, as I thought @sswilson might have some interest. It slipped and here we are. Double Doh! Recent aircraft talk reminded me. I wonder if sswilson had hands on this one?

( just close the promo add for the paper if it pops )

cool! We used to have a bunch of Grumman avengers flying around here in NB for budworm spraying not too awful long ago but none are left flying now - just one left sitting along the roadside in boisetown.

moocow

cool! We used to have a bunch of Grumman avengers flying around here in NB for budworm spraying not too awful long ago but none are left flying now - just one left sitting along the roadside in boisetown.
Man, if I only have the money and time to restore one of those and dust off my pilot's license. There's also a F4 for sale online too.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
There's probably more than enough twisted airframes out there that'll never be returned to service.

And yeah... the venerable widow maker......

The (Black Humour) joke was: Wanna own a CF-104???..... buy any acre of land in Germany.

I read through my dad's log book one time (he flew CF-104's in 441 Squadron in the late 60's) and they lost a pilot pretty much 2-3 times a year. A lot were to do with their insertion technique for the reconnaissance squadron, which was treetops plus 20-50 feet at ridiculous speeds. A lot of the notes read bird strike. You don't have a lot of time at 200 feet of altitude when something goes wrong.

Valkyrie

I read through my dad's log book one time (he flew CF-104's in 441 Squadron in the late 60's) and they lost a pilot pretty much 2-3 times a year. A lot were to do with their insertion technique for the reconnaissance squadron, which was treetops plus 20-50 feet at ridiculous speeds. A lot of the notes read bird strike. You don't have a lot of time at 200 feet of altitude when something goes wrong.
Respect to your dad for flying those things. I talked to a '104 vet years ago who said "you would have to be at 25,000 ft. above the airfield" to have a chance at making it. Glide ratio of a brick.

@Babrbarossa ...Is that thing still there? It must be a complete pile of doo,,doo

sswilson

Staff member
Respect to your dad for flying those things. I talked to a '104 vet years ago who said "you would have to be at 25,000 ft. above the airfield" to have a chance at making it. Glide ratio of a brick.

@Babrbarossa ...Is that thing still there? It must be a complete pile of doo,,doo

Yeah and not exactly the most maneuverable aircraft either.

Designed for fast high altitude flight in a straight line. Not exactly the thing you should be using to do low altitude terrain hugging maneuvers.

moocow

I wonder if there was some kind of backroom deal for the CF-104 considering Lockheed bribed the West Germans for the F104G contract. Too bad we never got the F-14. So close to getting Iran's inventory before our involvement in the US Hostile situation was discovered.

Latest posts