What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Acer laptop quality?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Looking around at some laptops. I see some decent Acers around as far as specs go, but I have never bought an Acer machine. I have been pretty partial to Toshibas myself.

Anybody have any experience with Acer? Recommended brand nowadays for laptops?

Cheator

I love Acer. Their support is fantastic for nerds... i call them up, tell them my wireless card is acting up and they SEND me a new one next day... no questions, no depot repair. As for the build quality, its slightly less then my Latitude at work but its sturdy. I've had 3 Lappies so far from them and will definately go there again...

Btw, they don't outsource their support. its all texans answering the phone.

Thund3rball

Depends on the model. Those "media" machines I have seen in BB feel rather crappy with a lot of bells and whistles that usually won't work properly after a short time. Stick with something basic with good guts if you can.

geokilla

I have an Acer Aspire 5601 with 2GB RAM from 3 years ago and it's still running strong. Keep in mind it sits in its case most of the time now collecting dust. However within the first 2 years, we used it daily like it was our desktop PC.

I've always found Acer to be a very good bang for buck brand.

If you want excellent bang for buck and at the same time, good customer support, ASUS is the way to go. My friend has an ASUS and it's been rock solid. Plus I believe they have 2 or 3 year warranty on their laptops.

TopDogZero

Don't know about there laptops but there support is fantastic. Had a LCD TV from them for almost a year and it gave out, shipped it back to them (they paid shipping) they fixed it and extended the warranty 3 months. Gave me problems again shipped it back (at there cost), at which point they told me they could not repair it anymore and offered me a new model which I did not want so they reimburse all my money with no hassle.

SiDiX007

ACER are amazing latptops. I own 2 of them and i have sold them to lots of relatives. Like any other manufacture they have there "low end" models... but even these are worth it IMO. I always tell me customers that ACER is the best bang for your buck right now.

Evylldemon

I would agree that the support is amazing from Acer. The problem is that it seems to be way too often that you need it. Both my roommate and I got the same Acer laptop 3.5 years ago. Mine was completely overhauled (new HDD, CD-rom, graphics) twice before I gave up and got a Mac. My roommates has had many similar problems but he still uses to a minimal capacity.

I personally would never recommend them to anyone. I'm sure it's really hit or miss with depending on the model but my personal experience has been bad and I won't be going back to Acer.

geokilla

I would agree that the support is amazing from Acer. The problem is that it seems to be way too often that you need it. Both my roommate and I got the same Acer laptop 3.5 years ago. Mine was completely overhauled (new HDD, CD-rom, graphics) twice before I gave up and got a Mac. My roommates has had many similar problems but he still uses to a minimal capacity.

I personally would never recommend them to anyone. I'm sure it's really hit or miss with depending on the model but my personal experience has been bad and I won't be going back to Acer.
Well give them a try now. They've definitely come a long way since you owned one of their laptops 3 years ago.

Latest posts