What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

acer one ssd failure? linux mint with pics

hfxmike

Hi

A put Mint on a netbook for a friend about two years ago - and it ran fine...until last week.
Is the ssd dead? Any help appreciated. I'm not much good at troubleshooting linux.
This is what I get on boot:

then:

and when I boot ubuntu from a usb stick, and click on the drive, i get this:

Varroa

Dead SSDs usually don't appear at all in the bios so you can't boot from them at all. If you have a dead SSD then then it wouldn't get past the bios (unless you are booting from a different physical disk). This looks more like corruption to me.

Bond007

Do you have a desktop to try and connect it too? See if anything can be read on the SSD that way.

edgxunil

It's possible that the SSD is corrupted, that's good since it's still playing along and not dead YET. My suggestion is to do a complete backup use Clonezilla as soon as possible to another hard drive. Here is a Ubuntu forum post with similar problem (mint is a branch of ubuntu), [ubuntu] hd0 read error,grub rescue, hopefully it can be some help to you.

hfxmike

Thanks for the advice
The ssd turns out to be a slow card:

It uses a 40 pin ZIF cable which I can't connect to anything. So I'm just going to file it as dead and make a persistent usb drive with mint 17.1 on it. Too bad these old acers can't boot from the sd card slots.

Mike

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter