What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Acer Veriton 3D Printed Open Air Case

sswilson

Staff member
I have an i3 Acer Veriton kicking around that I wanted to throw a double slot GT 1030 onto, but the original case only supports a single slot card so I figured I'd print off something I can migrate it to which would support a dual slot vid card.

That's the motherboard model try I'm working off of. It's wider than I need so I cut it down a bit, the support holes were too large (appropriate metric screws wouldn't fit through the holes on the motherboard) so I dropped it down a notch, and finally I cut out an opening above the IO to mount the power/USB panel to. I want to use it sitting on a receiver so I'm planning on creating a base which includes legs to allow for airflow to the receiver as well as a sling mount for the original PSU.

edit: Here's the Thingiverse project of the complete case

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Acer Veriton single slot case.jpg

This is what started all of this... not enough room for a double slot card in there.

These are the basic parts I'm starting with.....

Acer Veriton Motherboard B75H2-AD.jpg

The motherboard measures 244 X 200mm so there's a little bit of an overhang on the tray model I found.

Acer Veriton Bitfenix Control Panel.jpg

The Case IO switch / USB panel is something I salvaged off of an old Bitfenix case.

Acer Veriton Power Supply.jpg

The PSU is a non-standard size, and is not proprietary, but I would have had to splice the wires for length if I didn't already have extenders on hand.

sswilson

Staff member
Acer Veriton MB Tray Tree support.jpg

Acer VeritonTree support removed.jpg

I went with "tree" supports mainly for the quicker print time, but was super impressed with how easy it was to remove them from the tray. (I'll be considering using tree supports more often in the future :) ).

Acer Veriton MB Tray unpopulated.jpg

Acer Veriton MB Tray Populated front.jpg

Acer Veriton MB Tray Populated Back.jpg

Everything seems to be fitting together well. IIRC it was a bit of a pain figuring out the board's front panel pin-outs, but I had this motherboard in a standard case previously so I was obviously able to figure it out. :)

Currently printing off the base plate for this to sit on and then will work on designing the PSU mount and case legs.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I've really got to look at my camera and software settings to see why reds are super saturated.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
For anybody not familiar with 3D printer designs you might wonder why they're often done in multiple pieces. There's a few main reasons that come into play... They're often split up just so that the full design can be printed on a certain sized print bed, designing in pieces also allows the individual parts to be printed with minimal support required, and finally, splitting the whole model up into smaller pieces allows you to use mechanical fasteners which can add an extra level of strength to the model.

With that in mind, here's the next pieces of the puzzle.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/kfTm1jq5acp

Acer Veriton PSU Mount.jpg

These are 3 separate parts.

The upper lipped tray/base is where the motherboard tray will sit (haven't decided yet if I want to physically secure it, if I do I'll just drill a few holes through both parts around the edge and secure them with machine screws/nuts, or I could even just use velcro along each edge if I wanted to. Secured to that tray with machine screws are the front/rear PSU mounts. I had initially designed the PSU mount as one piece but the bloody thing kept failing 20+ hours into the print (had to be printed tall because it was just slightly too long for the print bed when support was included) so I just broke it up into two pieces.

The screw holes for attaching the mounts to the tray/base are incorporated into the design of the base mainly to allow the heads to be countersunk, while the mounts themselves were made without holes so that I didn't have to agonize over getting the two holes to line up (I just drilled through both pieces once I had them lined up).

Acer Veriton PSU Mount front Lip.jpg

Acer Veriton PSU Mount rear with screws.jpg

As per the top image, the PSU is tightly secured by the back plate and a lip on the front, but I've also secured it on the rear (bottom pic) with a couple of screws through to the plastic back plate.

The bottom of these PSU mounts would be more than stable enough to use as "feet" for the whole completed unit, but I'm putting this on top of a receiver so I'm printing off some legs which will raise it up enough to allow for some airflow underneath.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I'll post up some better lit pictures tomorrow but here's the completed PC in it's intended habitat.

Acer Veriton complete on receiver.jpg

Here's the completed Thingiverse project: (also linked in the first post)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Final pics

Acer Veriton complete complete base.jpg

Completed base with legs. I felt the SSD on the bottom (last night's pic) was blocking airflow to the receiver so I moved it up to the bottom of the base tray. (It's just gel taped on there... :) ). I was a bit concerned about how stable it would be with 4 relatively skinny legs, but it seems fine and the only thing I may end up doing to the legs is applying some anti-skid pads to the bottom.

Acer Veriton complete F-L.jpg

Acer Veriton complete rear.jpg

Completed "case".

Relatively compact, and pretty close to what I had originally envisioned. Note the blue painter's tape over the LEDs.... even with that covering them up they're still brighter than I'd like, but at least they're not burning holes into my retina every time I look at them. :)

Already considering V2.... I may come up with a "roof" similar to a hardtop convertible that I can secure via the two open motherboard mount holes at the rear. and either supported by legs on open space on the motherboard, or resting on the top lip at the front.

Bond007

Final pics

View attachment 30631

Completed base with legs. I felt the SSD on the bottom (last night's pic) was blocking airflow to the receiver so I moved it up to the bottom of the base tray. (It's just gel taped on there... :) ). I was a bit concerned about how stable it would be with 4 relatively skinny legs, but it seems fine and the only thing I may end up doing to the legs is applying some anti-skid pads to the bottom.

View attachment 30632

View attachment 30633

Completed "case".

Relatively compact, and pretty close to what I had originally envisioned. Note the blue painter's tape over the LEDs.... even with that covering them up they're still brighter than I'd like, but at least they're not burning holes into my retina every time I look at them. :)

Already considering V2.... I may come up with a "roof" similar to a hardtop convertible that I can secure via the two open motherboard mount holes at the rear. and either supported by legs on open space on the motherboard, or resting on the top lip at the front.
Nice work! I have similarly used Velcro to mount 2.5” drives in sff oem boxes with no drive caddies.

you all make me want to get a 3D printer!

Latest posts

Twitter