What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Acrylic vs PETG if bought pre-bent?

Skippman

I was looking at PETG tubing for my new build and saw Bitspower now sells prebent acrylic. The main reason I've avoided acrylic up to this point was due to the horror stories I'd seen online when bending it and it snapping. Since my new case has nothing but 90deg bends in it this might be an option for me. Is acrylic really more translucent and cleaner looking than PETG? Thoughts on Bitspower tubing?

Izerous

Folding Team
PETG is a bit softer and has a little more resilance. I know a few people are against it but my only problem with it was time. Everytime I wanted to change something it took WAY longer than with soft tubing. Want to run a few tests against several thermal pastes, need to drain the system to disconnect the hardlines. But in reality $20 heat gun from princess auto and a little bit of patience and the bending part really isn't that hard.

But I have not tried anything with acrylic, just seen a lot of horror stories about craking in transport etc, and lan parties etc used to be normal for me so transport was always a concern.

JD

Staff member
Haven't had any issues with my acrylic cracking. My Cosmos II weighs in around 75lbs I'd say, and I drag it up the stairs from the basement outside to blow the dust out once a year. Suffice to say, it gets banged around when doing so ;)

Bending perhaps is a little more challenging as you need more heat, but at the same time a little bit too much and it bubbles. Pre-bent should take care of that though. I've only ever used Bitspower acrylic.

My tubes stay super clear and the loop overall clean since moving to acrylic from soft tubing.

Skippman

Any tips for cutting it? In the past I've used a copper pipe cut off wheel tool. I was considering using an ultra fine blade hacksaw this time.

JD

Staff member
I was considering using an ultra fine blade hacksaw this time.
Yeah that should work fine, I just use a normal hacksaw personally and a mitre box. Just go slow and steady, letting the weight of the saw do the work. A finer blade should give you a cleaner cut as well, but I usually run it over one of those foam sanding blocks to make sure its mostly straight/level, then use the deburr tool to chamfer the edges.

Lysrin

It is superior but from all that I researched, and as JD said, you do have to be more careful with your bends and the heat used. And it certainly is more brittle from YouTube demos I've seen. Since my build was my first ever custom loop I went with PETG. Worked out fine for me.

Once caution with PETG too, that I believe acrylic does not suffer from is the longer term effect of the heat on the end of the PETG in the fitting. This was pointed out to me in my custom loop work log thread. When I recently had to change my CPU block I did end up bending some new PETG for the in and out of the CPU block because I could see slight deformation in the ends of the tubing. Not enough to cause a leak or any obvious issues. I believe that was with the loop running for over a year, but you could feel it with your finger.

There are inserts that you can buy to prevent this. But again, that's another thing to buy. So points for acrylic there?

I haven't had any issues with PETG getting cloudy, and I am running clear coolant so I'd see it I would say.

Skippman

I'm using PETG now. I had to make some rather radical bends to make my CPU water block work with my dual bay res as you'll see here:
20200214_182526.jpg
20200214_182529.jpg

I ended up going through 5 pieces of PETG before I got the bend right. With the new case and distro plate I'm going to be using it should be all single 90 deg bends.

JD

Staff member
For me, with my acrylic, I just opt to use extenders/90-degree fittings instead of making radical bends :)

If you can handle the wait times, the Barrow, Byski, etc fittings from China are relatively cheap, so now I have quite the inventory of all the sizes for any future changes.

Skippman

To be honest the EK fittings aren't that much more expensive here and I already own a bunch of them.

Attachments

• 1601568941744.png
    1601568941744.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 2