What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Adding 2nd m2ssd on pcie card messes windows boot manager

jtf2

Hi.Hoping i can lay this issue out clearly
board is an asus hero viii i7 6700k gskill 2x 8 gig pc3200 ram gtx 1080 ti

win10 pro presently on a 256 gig samsung 950 pro,want to clone to a bigger 500 gig samsung 970 evo plus using samsung data migration software within windows

970 card is on an addonics pci-e card-top slot of board-speed pci-e 4 i have disconnected 2 sata drives while trying to get this working

once booted into bios windows boot manager says drive not present-but the 950 is just below the wbm the 970 evo is further down the screen no matter what i try it will not properly boot to windows with that 970 installed,remove it and no problem,boots to windows fine on the 950
i have tried disabling csm etc in bios,searched web and forums but no specific issue like this
any input appreciated

AkG

Off the top of my head its a pcie slot or interface issue. IF its sharing lanes with the PCH, even when turned to pcie only it can sometimes be squirrelly. Almost as if that slot was never really meant to be used for nvme storage.
So try a different slot. See if it shows up in the BIOS. If it does. Should show up in windows... assuming you have the latest nvme driver installed before hand.
If it does not... are you sure the drive is good? Can you initialize it on a different rig and then try again? If not could be a bad add in card adapter (they are cheap for a reason). So stick it in a free M.2 port and see if it works. If it does its the adapter, if not its the drive.

Im assuming latest BIOS is already installed for the mobo... and drive is installed the right way on the adapter... and other basics are done already.

jtf2

Off the top of my head its a pcie slot or interface issue. IF its sharing lanes with the PCH, even when turned to pcie only it can sometimes be squirrelly. Almost as if that slot was never really meant to be used for nvme storage.
So try a different slot. See if it shows up in the BIOS. If it does. Should show up in windows... assuming you have the latest nvme driver installed before hand.
If it does not... are you sure the drive is good? Can you initialize it on a different rig and then try again? If not could be a bad add in card adapter (they are cheap for a reason). So stick it in a free M.2 port and see if it works. If it does its the adapter, if not its the drive.

Im assuming latest BIOS is already installed for the mobo... and drive is installed the right way on the adapter... and other basics are done already.
thnx for reply
okay i will try a different slot
i will try the 8x slot above gpu slot- is that safe??

bios is up to date
nvme driver 3.1 is installed and thats the latest i think

adapter has worked in the past on another board,and the bios does see the 970 in the boot sequence
as a test i could swap out the 950 that has the os on it-put it on the addonics card,put the 970 in the m2 slot on the mb and see what happens
will keep posted

jtf2

okay small update this morning.
i put the samsung 850 boot drive on the adapter card it booted fine
it did not at first,but had to change a setting in bios regarding booting from pcie

last thing to try is i will put the 970 in the m2 slot on the board,and see what happens
wanna get this sorted out i do have a 34inch alienware to set up yet:biggrin:

AkG

So just to make sure I understand. The 970 IS being seen in the BIOS and its just a OS issue?
Does it show up in Disk mgmt? May have to initialize.
If it is shown in disk mgmt and has been initialized drill into the Device Mgr. Find the NVME Express controller under storage controllers (if multiple... check all of em). Seeing any conflicts under resources? What driver is being used? MS or Sammy? Sammy latest is indeed 3.1. If using sammy and STILL not showing up... unistall device for nvme controllers. Make sure its no longer seen under Disk Drives. Reboot. SHOULD scan and auto install. If not Device Manger -> Actions -> scan for hardware changes.

jtf2

So just to make sure I understand. The 970 IS being seen in the BIOS and its just a OS issue?
Does it show up in Disk mgmt? May have to initialize.
If it is shown in disk mgmt and has been initialized drill into the Device Mgr. Find the NVME Express controller under storage controllers (if multiple... check all of em). Seeing any conflicts under resources? What driver is being used? MS or Sammy? Sammy latest is indeed 3.1. If using sammy and STILL not showing up... unistall device for nvme controllers. Make sure its no longer seen under Disk Drives. Reboot. SHOULD scan and auto install. If not Device Manger -> Actions -> scan for hardware changes.
thanks for replying.
okay i left the 950 in the pcie adapter cause it played nice and booted the os
put the 970 in the m2 mb slot.everything booted fine:clap:
So i thought okay lets use samsung migration software.clone the drive and away we go.
It was not working properly always an error right at the start.

Disk was initialized formatted,still did not matter to samsung lol

Installed macrium free version drive cloning software and here we are
Had to install the latest samsung magician to see the 970
The oddest damn thing in device manager
it now shows the 970 as this
nvme samsung ssd 970 SCSI disk device!!!

So have no clue wth up with that,will have to search for an answer there
thanks for assistance

Latest posts

Twitter