What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

adding storage to iPad (10.2, gen 7, 32 GB)

Dunc

Just obtained one (My first - ever - foray into Apple hardware)and am looking at increasing storage. I have found 2 possible solutions (any other suggestions gladly accepted):

1. the use of a "gizmo" to allow adding a USB (type A connector) via the lightning port. From internet videos I have viewed the "gizmo" must have (obviously) a Usb port for the thumb drive plus a lightning port to add power from an Apple iPad power supply. I believe the correct "gizmo" allows attaching a power supply & a camera to allow offloading camera images onto the iPad. I also gather that this "gizmo" must be a genuine Apple accessory; imitations won't work. No explanation,: just won't work. Anyway, without the added power via the lightning connection, the added memory drive will not work: not enough power.

2. Now I have been directed to the Verbatim store-n-go USB ti lightning. Acc. to my understanding,this Usb drive plugs directly (via a lightning connector on the other end of the module) into the iPad's lightning connector.

...But, acc to #1 attaching a thumb drive into an iPad without additional power being supplied results in drive failure since not enough power.

Have I understood this correctly? Using the #1 approach, will "any old" thumb drive Work? If not, what are the specs required? Must all the accessories be "genuine Apple" or "Apple - certified"?
I am interested in adding storage capacity to have it when required( think photos, music, data (mostly pdf files). Or, do I need some schooling?
THanks

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
they're bloody expensive, but there are iPhone / iPad focused lightning flash keys that loop around the back with a u shape. the bigger issue is I don't think they come in very large capacities, despite their crazy pricing.

Dunc

While not - I expect - a comprehensive answer I have found a few ideas.
Verbatim's Store'n Go & San Disk's iXpand offer USB thumb drives with a lightning port included. Just plug it in - no external power is required. No idea of how /why they work; they just do. I purchased a San Disk 64 GB device. Several web sites confirmed that a non-specific USB thumb drive (along with select USB external hdds) do require additional power via an Apple gizmo that allows adding power as well as connecting the storage. There is an Apple connector (may be more than one) to attach a camera (for photo downloads to the Apple device) as well as a lightning port to supply power. Again, the websites insist that only genuine Apple devices can apply, third party cause problems (again, no explanation of the how/why).
Another variant is the use of a USB powered hub. I have not investigated this approach/acceptable third party brands, etc.
I also came across a PhotoFast microSD Card Reader CR8800; no info beyond it exists. Similarly, the Corsair Voyager Air 1 TB mobile wireless streaming storage connects via Wi-Fi and I think it has its own internal power via a rechargeable battery. These are anecdotal only; I have not used them.
Hope someone can explain the how/why of the devices : some need power while others do not. Also, why are the Apple gizmos the only ones that can inject power correctly?

Latest posts