What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Adjustments After XMP Set Question

rjbarker

Folks
I have never really gotten into OC'ing my Memory....other than setting XMP (I or II) on my previous Asus Boards and then going and adjusting vDIMM / Vram, VCCIO, SA afterwards ( XMP I find sets both VCCIO and SA very high, sol ike to lower n test etc....

The question is if I set XMP I or II, I also have the option to increase and set Frequencies...while in XMP, can I still go ahead and bump my frequency up .....I know my Board bios i can do this, just looking at all ways to bring up frequency....I also know going straight manual no XMP is the other option.

Im not planning on relpacing this build for likely a year or so and am considering replacing my 32G (2*16G) Dominator 3200 Cl16 kit for 4*8G Gskill 4000 Cl17 kit (on Asus MXI-E QVL)

From what I understand (completely over looked when I bought the Board / CPU/ Memory 3 yrs ago, the MXI-E Memory to CPU (IMC) Topology is designed for better results populating all slots.....of course coming off of X79 RIVE I was always under the impression that better OC'ing results were expected (CPU / Memory) when not populating all slots....which is why I purchased 2*16G stick kit in the first place....seems I should have gone with 4*8G sticks vs 2*16G sticks....I have tried some very mild OC's w my 2*16G Dominators and have had n luck.

Thx

Last edited:

Solace

XMP is a profile, you can edit the profile after you set it.

rjbarker

XMP is a profile, you can edit the profile after you set it.

Thanks...great way to put it..."editing a profile"....so changing the frequency afterwards should be fine....if I got no answer was going to go ahead and try it anyhow...my Board has both Clear CMOS button as well as Safe Boot button as well as 2 bios chips.....thanks

Bond007

You can absolutely change after loading the xmp profile. If you are going to up the freq, I would recommend loosening the timings and then trying to move up to 3600.

rjbarker

You can absolutely change after loading the xmp profile. If you are going to up the freq, I would recommend loosening the timings and then trying to move up to 3600.

Ok perfect thanks 007.....I googled that and could not find "the answer"....I had tried it before with my 3200 Dom Kit I have a few years ago and kept getting cycling boot on / off...no post

...I may have been impatient cant remember as the Memory simply could have been "Training"...... iirc I may not have bumped up Vram enough .....may have left Primary Timings alone and likely didnt do anything with VCCIO / SA....
Away at work now so doing some research as my RAM is something I want to play with....

.....I should be able to leave Sub Timings alone (on Auto) ? .....but I know there maybe some I have to research on changing... ?

Solace

If you blow anything up or ever get stuck just pull the plug/flip switch after 2-3 seconds of boot and on the third try it will auto post into bios with default settings. Well most boards I believe should, some may have different failure thresholds. Easier than reseting the CMOS on some boards, esp the cheaper ones that lack a button or easy access to the pins.

sswilson

Staff member
If you blow anything up or ever get stuck just pull the plug/flip switch after 2-3 seconds of boot and on the third try it will auto post into bios with default settings. Well most boards I believe should, some may have different failure thresholds. Easier than reseting the CMOS on some boards, esp the cheaper ones that lack a button or easy access to the pins.

I've found both of my AMD Ryzen boards have been very reluctant to recover from memory settings that have been tweaked too far (even after the supposed 3 boot attempts) and require a cmos reset to get back into bios.

With that in mind, I make it a point to save the most recent "post" memory settings so that it's easy to return from a failed post.

gingerbee

a Lot of ASUS boards that we all buy will have the mem ok button to reset your ram to the stock setting if failing to boot and to my understanding all Asus boards will drop the memory back to the default setting after a 3rd failed boot.

RJbaker can't remember if your AMD or Intel, The AMD memory calculator works really well from my experience. good luck

I have found if your having trouble getting into the bios after failed OC ram attempts I found if I hit the start button then just hold it down once you see it getting to post and do it a couple of times the board will see the ram not working right and it will go back to default or it will boot windows into RE mode lol.

rjbarker

^^^^ Thanks folks...no ginger Im on Intel still Maximus XI Extreme w 9900K......
My Board does have the typicsl Asus Clear CMOS button on the I/O back of the Case, I also have a Safe Reboot / Start button right on the Board.

As for the Memory OK switch, I do have it and had a quit read thru the manual but of course no really good explanation how that works.
I believe the default position is "on" but cannot remember, I'll have to have a look at my Board when I get home in a few weeks.

Im torn between these 2 kits (both on QVL at both Asus and Gskill)

I believe both are Samsung B-Die (but not positive).....lots of Googling but nothing definitive...
The 4266 Cl17 kit is tempting but the 3rd party seller Im not finding very positive feedback, just the opposite and a bit pricier than the 4000 kit. I also know there is no guarentee and 4266 maybe fairly high expectations for my Z390, QVL or not.

The Royal 4000 17-17-17-36 is sold / shipped directly from the Egg so I know there will be no surprises...a few notches below max QVL speed for my Board (Max is 4400 iirc)

I know now thru more research I should have went with a 4 stick kit vs 2 sticks on my Board, but my old school OC thinking from X79 days.....yeah Im getting old!

Anyhow Im open to suggestions, I have those 2 kits in my Cart, but leaning towards the Royals.

Thanks guys.....pretty much "deadsville" for answers over on ROG.

Bond007

I don’t believe there is nearly as much to gain with faster ram on the intel side of the fence. Personally I would just OC what you have as best you can and call it a day. I doubt you are going to get more than a couple % improvement for your $.

Latest posts