What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Adobe being sued for the subscription model

moocow

As someone that had to deal with their crappy software as support, I'm so happy to hear this happening to them! TLDR version is that the US government is accusing them of hidden fees and road blocking people from cancelling.

crazyea

I subscribed to what I though was month to month, but they have in their agreement that if you cancel the month to month you will have to pay the full year, BUT they also take away the remaining time. I hate Adobe so much that they can go straight to hell and I refuse to use anything of theirs knowingly. F Them!!!

Eidt - HOLY F. I didnt even read before posting, but after I did, and that is exactly what happened to me and what I am talking about.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Tis why piracy exists sadly it's a way to cut garbage outa games like Denovue spyware and for Adobe it's a way to stop the online checks. But you'd hope they'd not be so greedy and short sighted.

Hope this initiates a change and forces them to restructure the scam they cooked up.

JD

Staff member
All these subscriptions started off relatively affordable and I'd say lessened my sailing the high seas... but they've continually crept up in price where it's looking like it's time to set sail once more 🏴‍☠️

I have the Photography yearly plan, so didn't know about this monthly cancellation issue, but I guess I'll have to keep an eye on my renewal date to cancel the day of. I haven't really used Lightroom much this year, I guess because I haven't taken my camera out much either.

I think Amazon Prime is similar, if you cancel "early" you lose all benefits even though you paid for the month.

JD

Staff member
I cancelled Prime a few weeks back my renewal date and and I was still able to use it up until the end.
My mom tried to cancel yesterday and it said all benefits would be lost immediately, so maybe a recent change? Told her to go with the "remind me 3 days before renewal" instead... so we'll see if they do or not.

crazyea

My mom tried to cancel yesterday and it said all benefits would be lost immediately, so maybe a recent change? Told her to go with the "remind me 3 days before renewal" instead... so we'll see if they do or not.
Amazon, at least in my recent experience, gives you the option of ending immediately and receiving a refund, and ending at the end of the subscription. I cancelled a month ago and received a refund.

Lysrin

Don't forget GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/) for photos too.

We had a situation at work where someone needed Adobe Reader Professional for working with complex PDFs, but it had to be a licence that worked completely offline, no connection to the Internet ever and not a subscription as those usually want to talk to the mothership. We were months trying to sort that out with Adobe, they were completely befuddled, and honestly I don't know if it had been resolved yet.

They were challenging to deal with in that situation too, but a lot of companies are now when you ask for completely offline installers or licencing... young whipper-snappers can't even understand what completely offline means! "But you connect to the Internet sometimes right...?" "Nope. Not now, not ever." :)