What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Advice needed! High-end monitor for home office

ryetgr

Okay okay, this has been really great feedback. I've been reflecting on it, and wanted to ask... if you guys had to pick 1 monitor in my situation (no duals) what would it be??

After having a think, for my specific set up I think that's how it will have to be.

It may not be the ULTIMATE productivity that a dual setup has. But the goal should be productivity (big spreadsheets) AND have a performance monitor, with a budget of $2Kish.

Frankly I may drop my picks back to
  1. LG 38WN95C-W
  2. Samsung Neo Odyssey G9
  3. LG CX10 48
Going to see what breaks in the blogs tomorrow, as I understand the Odyssey is available for pre-order starting tomorrow

I apologize for being so wishy washy, but I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's such a big decision!!!!!

Thanks for any suggestions on this one <3

Vittra

Based on your specific needs and usage case, your #1 choice was the best fit for you. A flat or mildly curved 38" panel is great for productivity that typically involves static content, and can be immersive and fun for casual gaming. Bear in mind you will need a powerful GPU to drive beyond 60hz/60fps at native resolution.

1) LG 38WN95C-W and the LG 38GN950-B and choose between them. If you want to look at more options within this space, bear in mind they may be using the same LG panel anyways - Alienware AW3821DW and Acer X38 are potential options but you will have to deal with the gamer aesthetic.

2) Dual monitors is fine but you would need to figure out what you need, as it can literally be a combination of whatever you wish, especially if you use monitor arms. If you want to keep things simple, look at:

a) 2x 27" 2560x1440 (LG 27GP850)

GP are the latest revision, GN are older. The GP of this particular model is a slightly higher refresh rate from my recollection. The amount of 27" 2560x1440 high refresh monitors on the market is staggering at this point, it's somewhat pointless to list them all out.

b) 2x 27"/32" 3840x2160 (27" 27GP950, 32" TBD)

The GP of this LG 27" model adds HDMI 2.1, replacing HDMI 2.0. 32" 4K with high refresh are still not quite out yet but hopefully soon. An example would be the PG32UQ - do not confuse this with the PG32UQX though which is referenced in the next section.

3) The G9/G9 Neo is focused towards media consumption and gaming, it's a VA panel that's curved. Samsung curves the VA panels to mitigate some of the issues inherent with the VA when viewed at normal monitor viewing distances. Regardless of how one feels about curved panels, the G9 is 49" and at that size it's pretty much mandatory to have a curve if you want to use it effectively as a monitor.

The G9 Neo may suffer from the same blooming issues the PGUQ32X has - it has around double the zones, but that may still not be sufficient outside of gaming/movie content. I would definitely wait for reviews and user feedback before purchasing it. At $2500 USD that is really good OLED TV territory, and G9/TV options probably need a secondary monitor for productivitty anyway.

4) The LG 48"/55" is a TV and it's focus is the same as the G9 Neo - media consumption and gaming. If you want to see how to setup a TV for productivity, take a look at this video and see if this is something you want to live with on a daily basis:

Cypher^64

Thanks all for feedback.

What I'm hearing is Cypher is happy with is 49" Samsung for both work and gaming;

OLED by far best for gaming, but caveats for productivity/burn-in,

Many prefer 2 monitors over ultrawides for productivity.

Just out of curiosity, what are some high-end dual monitor combos you would recommend for let's say up to $3Kish?

If we go dual route, I want them to be super impressive

Thanks

The Neo G9 looks pretty impressive.
mom thinking of selling my rg9 and getting one when they are available

ryetgr

Based on your specific needs and usage case, your #1 choice was the best fit for you. A flat or mildly curved 38" panel is great for productivity that typically involves static content, and can be immersive and fun for casual gaming. Bear in mind you will need a powerful GPU to drive beyond 60hz/60fps at native resolution.

1) LG 38WN95C-W and the LG 38GN950-B and choose between them. If you want to look at more options within this space, bear in mind they may be using the same LG panel anyways - Alienware AW3821DW and Acer X38 are potential options but you will have to deal with the gamer aesthetic.

2) Dual monitors is fine but you would need to figure out what you need, as it can literally be a combination of whatever you wish, especially if you use monitor arms. If you want to keep things simple, look at:

a) 2x 27" 2560x1440 (LG 27GP850)

GP are the latest revision, GN are older. The GP of this particular model is a slightly higher refresh rate from my recollection. The amount of 27" 2560x1440 high refresh monitors on the market is staggering at this point, it's somewhat pointless to list them all out.

b) 2x 27"/32" 3840x2160 (27" 27GP950, 32" TBD)

The GP of this LG 27" model adds HDMI 2.1, replacing HDMI 2.0. 32" 4K with high refresh are still not quite out yet but hopefully soon. An example would be the PG32UQ - do not confuse this with the PG32UQX though which is referenced in the next section.

3) The G9/G9 Neo is focused towards media consumption and gaming, it's a VA panel that's curved. Samsung curves the VA panels to mitigate some of the issues inherent with the VA when viewed at normal monitor viewing distances. Regardless of how one feels about curved panels, the G9 is 49" and at that size it's pretty much mandatory to have a curve if you want to use it effectively as a monitor.

The G9 Neo may suffer from the same blooming issues the PGUQ32X has - it has around double the zones, but that may still not be sufficient outside of gaming/movie content. I would definitely wait for reviews and user feedback before purchasing it. At $2500 USD that is really good OLED TV territory, and G9/TV options probably need a secondary monitor for productivitty anyway.

4) The LG 48"/55" is a TV and it's focus is the same as the G9 Neo - media consumption and gaming. If you want to see how to setup a TV for productivity, take a look at this video and see if this is something you want to live with on a daily basis:

Vittra,

THANK YOU!

I pulled the trigger on the LG 38WN95C-W this morning from PC-Canada for $2,099.

Added a Avermedia PW513 webcam and a Razer Pro Glide mousepad

To go with my Logitech MX Keys and MX Master 3

Happy to post a pic of the setup when arrived, if any are interested!

For those on the CX OLED, or the Odyssey Neo G9, all the power to you!!! $2500 USD was a little over my taste for this one.

Thanks everyone else for input, greatly appreciated for sure!!!

GeezerGamer

Congrats and yeah post a photo when set up. Download your on screen control software in advance and read your manual online. FYI I think you'll need a USB A cable?

ryetgr

Congrats and yeah post a photo when set up. Download your on screen control software in advance and read your manual online. FYI I think you'll need a USB A cable?
Thanks GG, will make a note for that ! :)
Much appreciated