What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Advice on a wireless router

Caldezar

I'm looking for a decently priced router (sub-$200 would be great) that specifically needs to cover long distances and have solid penetration. Likely distance for wireless will be roughly up to 50-70 metres and will be from one house to another. I'd love some suggestions from people before I go buying something that falls flat.

JD

Staff member
The Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and the ASUS RT-AC66U and AC68U are likely your best choices.

That being said, is the primary use of this WiFi for a point-to-point link between properties? If so, you should likely look at and outdoor AP so it doesn't have to travel through walls as much and (ideally) have them lined up approximately at each other.

Caldezar

It's a single property with a detached office. Internet is in the office, and there's no real option for hard lining to the house. The current setup of a single wireless router in the office gives them a VERY weak signal in parts of the house, but they need something more solid. And outdoor AP's make me nervous as they're in the middle of nowhere about an hour out of Edmonton, so it needs to handle severe cold snaps in the winter.

I'll look in to those routers. Thanks!

sswilson

Staff member
How's the line of sight? Maybe locating the internet enabled router in an oddball location (high up on the wall maybe if it's a single story building) would offer better reception for the home? You can always come up with something like powerline ethernet to connect from within the office where the router is connected.

Caldezar

I thought about hardlining, but it would require a LOT of effort as we would have to dig up a section of the packed driveway. It's an awkward LoS.

I tried placement all over the place. Unfortuinately it's just a bit too far for the current gear. With a solid quality router though, I can always bridge the connection if necessary.

powerline is unfortunately a no-go as well as bothe buildings are on completely independent electrical panels.

sswilson

Staff member
I thought about hardlining, but it would require a LOT of effort as we would have to dig up a section of the packed driveway. It's an awkward LoS.

I tried placement all over the place. Unfortuinately it's just a bit too far for the current gear. With a solid quality router though, I can always bridge the connection if necessary.

powerline is unfortunately a no-go as well as bothe buildings are on completely independent electrical panels.
I wasn't thinking powerline between the two buildings... I was thinking powerline within the office building if you had to locate the router in a less than ideal location reference to the office PC(s).

Caldezar

I wasn't thinking powerline between the two buildings... I was thinking powerline within the office building if you had to locate the router in a less than ideal location reference to the office PC(s).
Ah, I see what you're saying. Well that's fortunately not a concern as the office is quite small. It's only 2 rooms and a store room. Basically it's a converted carriage house.

Latest posts

Twitter